Bideford 0 : 0 St Neots Town FC
SLP 36
Bideford 0 : 0
St Neots Town FC
Saturday 23 February, 2013 15:00


Evo-Stik Southern League Premier Division


BIDEFORD       0       ST NEOTS TOWN       0      


St Neots travelled 500+ miles to fight out their first ever goalless draw in the Premier Division of the Evo-Stik league and probably deserved to return from North Devon with all three points but three times they were denied by the woodwork whilst defensively they looked encouragingly sound with the return from suspension of Arthur Lee and keeper Jack Giddens was only twice seriously tested.   The first meeting of the sides at St Neots produced eight goals but this return was a very different contest.

On an uneven surface St Neots had to moderate their usual short passing approach but they created the early chances with Adrian Sear testing Tim Sandercombe from distance before the keeper did well to push a low shot from Dubi Ogbonna around a post.   It was 25 minutes before Jack Giddens was in action saving a weak header from Aaron Harper-Penman but St Neots were enjoying much the better share of possession with Jay Davies and Sear dominant in midfield.   Just before the half hour St Neots were unlucky not to be in front after two good efforts by Ogbonna.   He first accelerated past his marker to see a shot rebound from a post and he then collected a short pass from Ben Mackey only to see his shot blocked on the line by Ian Sampson.   As the first half drew to a close a shot from Rob Farkins following a corner was comfortably gathered by Giddens.

The second half began with more end to end action as the sides sought to up their game.   Ben Wood overlapped to fire wildly over the bar and then St Neots suffered a setback as Sear was cruelly brought down from behind by Farkins earning the Bideford player a booking.   Sear continued after five minutes on and off the field treatment but was clearly slowed up by his injury.   Upon his return he saw skipped Dan Jacob round the final defender to see a shot rebound from a post to be scrambled clear and then in the next attack Lewis Hilliard had a lengthy shot blocked and from the rebound Ryan Auger shot across the face of goal.    St Neots sent on Kyle Asante from Ogbonna and the woodwork then saved Bideford for a third time as a Mackey shot rebounded.   St Neots continued to look the better side with both Hilliard and Jacob shooting wide and then there was an eventful last five minutes as both side seemed to sense they could snatch all three points.   Giddens made an outstanding save to deny Sean Downing and the same player produced a cheeky back heel that rebounded from a post.   However the final work went to St Neots as Asante had a shot blocked and from the rebound Ben Mackey blazed wide.





St Neots: Giddens, Auger, Sage, Sear, Lee, Hoyte, Hilliard, Davies, Ogbonna, Mackey, Jacob.

Subs:  Asante (for Ogbonna 65 mins), Davis, Wood and King.

Cards: none


Bideford: Sandercombe, Sampson, Clifford, Downing, Farkins, Harper-Penman, Hockley, Bye, Squire, Wood, Andrew.

Subs:  Barker (for Wood 60 mins), Groves (for Bye 65 mins), Laight (for Squire 83 mins) and Furzer.

Cards: Farkins (Y – 52)


Attendance: 183


Referee:  Steve Annis (Penzance)


John Walker