St Neots Town FC 0 : 2 Stevenage FC
Pre Season Friendly Schedule
St Neots Town FC 0 : 2
Stevenage FC
Tuesday 14 July, 2015 19:45


St Neots’ second Football League visitors in four days were Stevenage FC who had been beaten in the League Two play offs at the end of last season.  

The full timers were a well organised slick side and two goals in a five minutes first half spell were sufficient to earn them a narrow victory over a St Neots side that improved as the match wore on.   The second half was very closely contested and but for some good goalkeeping by Jackson, St Neots would have obtained at the very least a consolation goal. 

There was just one change from the Cambridge starting line up with Andrew Ofusu coming in to lead the attack for Ben Burton with Lee Clarke moving back into midfield.   

Once again the second half saw a plethora of substitutions by both sides as fringe players and trialists were given a chance to stake their claims.

The first player to catch the eye was Stevenage striker Akinyemi whose electric pace kept the St Neots defence at full stretch.  However he squandered the best early chance of the match scuffing his shot wide after an impressive third minute move.   However it was he who opened the scoring after a quarter of an hour when he ran at the St Neots defence before beating Danny Gay with a well-placed low angled shot that went in under the keeper’s dive.  

St Neots replied with a Tom Meechan volley from a Ryan Hawkins corner well saved by Jackson but after 20 minutes the lead was doubled when Rowe sped past his marker to send in a low cross converted by the lively Akinyemi with the St Neots defence slow to react.  

The big difference between the sides was the quality of passing by the Stevenage players that gave them more time on the ball leaving St Neots too often chasing shadows. 

Two goal line clearances in the same attack denied Dale Gorman a third Stevenage goal and St Neots were glad to get back to the dressing room at half time to regroup.

The transformation was dramatic as in the first 15 minutes after the restart St Neots created three excellent chances. 

Defender Connor Hall joined the attack to link cleverly with Ofusu before seeing Jackson at full stretch push his shot for a corner and then Ryan Hawkins shot narrowly wide after a good move.  

Kane Farrell had been introduced as the first St Neots substitute and he brought a smart save from Jackson and the only response from the visitors was a breakaway attack in which Gay saved well from Gorman.  

The two sides then seemed to cancel each other out with Stevenage happy to defend in numbers as St Neots pushed for a goal.  

The best late effort came from substitute Peter Clark whose shot was deflected by a defender with the goalkeeper stranded.  

All in all a very useful workout against higher graded opposition.


St Neots:  Gay, Anton, Longden, Thorne, Tann, Hall, Hawkins, Clarke, Ofusu, Meechan, Gordon.

 Second half substitutes:  Marango, Vieira, Clark, Burton, Maxwell, Farrell and Reynolds (gk)

 Attendance 415