St Neots Town FC 2 : 3 Poole Town
St Neots Town FC 2 : 3
Poole Town
Saturday 15 August, 2015 15:00

Southern League Premier Division


ST NEOTS TOWN       2         POOLE TOWN      3             


Just three months ago these two teams contested the League play-off semi-final and Poole avenged that defeat with a narrow victory.  St Neots’ main concern will be the broken tibula suffered by Remy Gordon in the closing stages of the game in a 50/50 challenge. He joins an injury list that included two of the side’s most influential players who had been injured in the physical midweek encounter with Leamington. Ryan Hawkins (ankle) and Mat Mitchel-King (facial injury) had to sit this match out to be replaced by Jamie Anton and Lee Clarke. So with the league fixtures coming thick and fast the strength in depth of the squad will be tested in the coming matches. Overall it was not a very convincing display by St Neots although Poole looked to be a compact and well organised unit that will be capable of challenging for promotion again after their disappointment of last season.


It was a very slow start to the match with both sides having plenty of possession but failing to impress in the final third of the field. St Neots keeper Danny Gay had a couple of crosses to field but his side were unlucky not to go in front in their first real attack after 12 minutes when Jack Wilkinson perfectly judged a ball over the defence to free Tom Meechan and he moved infield to give himself an angle and although his shot beat visiting keeper Nick Hutchings the ball deflected to safety off the far post. Meechan off balance then fired over the bar and Remy Gordon lobbed the defence for Nathan Frater to collect but his lob was disappointingly wide. After this good spell St Neots seemed to lose their way and a glancing header across goal by Marvin Brooks was only just wide and then the same player should have done better than shoot straight at Gay after a defensive deflection dropped in his favour.   After 35 minutes Poole had penalty appeals waved away by the perfectly placed Referee but three minutes later they were ahead when Keith Emmerson tried his luck with a shot from 25 yards that beast Gay’s despairing dive. Jamie Anton, sensing that shooting from distance might be the answer to break the deadlock sent his effort over the bar and Poole went to the break slightly fortunate to be ahead.


St Neots tried to pep up their attack straight after half time by sending on Bamoussa Cisse alongside Meechan with Nathan Frater moving over to replace Lee Clarke. Poole broke away and Gay had to save bravely at the feet of Gillespie but the visitors had decided to pack their defence and a Brett Longden free kick was blocked and both Cisse and Tom Ward saw efforts also blocked by defenders.

A second change saw Connor Hall moved into midfield swapping places with skipper Adam Tann and although this boosted St Neots attacking ideas it had a detrimental effect on the defence. However after 67 minutes the scores were level when Longden found Meechan with his back to goal and he turned neatly to set up the unmarked Remy Gordon to shoot into the far corner of the net.

Parity only lasted for seven minutes when schoolboy defending cost St Neots dear as substitute Luke Roberts was left unmarked in acres of space in the middle of the park and he had a clear run at goal to restore the visitor’s lead.   Even worse was to follow after 80 minutes when two St Neots defenders collided going for the same ball leaving Luke Burbidge a clear run at goal and he skilfully rounded Gay to give Poole a two goals cushion.

St Neots were not finished and they swarmed around the Poole defence in the last ten minutes pulling back a second goal as Longden fed Connor Hall for his first goal for St Neots.  However the tragic injury to Gordon is likely to be the lasting memory.




St Neots: Gay, Anton, Wilkinson, Tann, Ward, Hall, Frater, Longden, Meechan, Clarke, Gordon

Subs: Cisse (for Clarke 46),Mailancol (for Tann 81), Osei-Addo (for Meechan 84), Harty and Burton.

Cards:  none

Goals:  Gordon (67 mins), Hall (86 mins)


Poole: Hutchings, Tallack, Emmerson, Walker, Whisken, Pettefer, Burbidge, Devlin, Holmes, Brooks, Gillespie

Subs:  Roberts (for Gillespie 71),Davidson (for Holmes 81), and Gleeson.

Cards:  Holmes (Y – 65), Burbidge (Y – 70), Roberts (Y – 45+3)

Goals:  Emmerson (38 mins), Roberts (74 mins), Burbidge (80 mins)


Attendance: 366


Referee: Richard Kendall (Luton)


John Walker