Chippenham Town 1 : 1 St Neots Town FC
Chippenham Town 1 : 1
St Neots Town FC
Saturday 05 September, 2015 15:00

Southern League Premier Division


CHIPPENHAM TOWN       1        ST NEOTS TOWN      1      


St Neots travelled to play league leaders Chippenhamin the hope of a victory that would keep them in the mix with the early season pacemakers. In the event they had to settle for a point after conceding an early goal but they can feel hard done by being denied two fairly obvious penalties and a shot that rebounded from the woodwork.

The Wiltshire side are a much better unit than last season and although a fourth draw in eight matches may be slightly disappointing, this was probably a point won rather than two surrendered.

There was just one change in the starting line up with Adam Tann preferred to Brett Longden, who was on the bench, at right back and also amongst the substitutes was Josh Beech, a recent acquisition from neighbours Biggleswade Town.


St Neots made a very positive start and looked to be cruelly denied a penalty in the very first minute when following an Isaac Galliford corner the ball bobbled around in the six yards box before a St Neots shot was clearly handled on a goal line but the unsighted Referee waved play on. Ryan Hawkins then sent in a teasing cross from the right and with Tom Meechan waiting to pounce, home keeper Kent Kauppinnen dived forward to claim the ball.  

However, the bright start was quickly eradicated when Chippenham took the lead in their first attack after nine minutes. Again the goal came from a corner swung in by Michael Pook and when the defence failed to clear James Guthrie dug out the ball from under his feet to score from close range. All the early openings at both ends came from set pieces as an in swinging Hawkins free kick was half volleyed by an off balance Tom Ward wide of target with the keeper stranded.  

Chris Allen then had a real chance to extend the lead as he showed fine pace to go past the last defender before shooting badly wide. After twenty minutes Nathan Frater got involved in a verbal exchange with the Referee after one of his colleagues was clearly fouled with the award of a free kick and he was booked for dissent and then Kaupinnen made a fine save at his near post from a narrow angled effort by Meechan.   Guthrie was also yellow carded for a cynical tackle bringing down Hawkins from behind as he sped towards goal and the half ended with Matt Jones sending a free kick over the bar from a prominent position.


With Frater and Hawkins switching roles up from St Neots looked dangerous on the break at the start of the second half and Frater shot wide when he should had levelled the scores after neat work by Meechan.   Chippenham then produced a good spell of attacking play that rendered several chances. A Greg Tindle header from a Pook corner was deflected wide of goal, Luke Ballinger fired the resultant corner over the bar and Guthrie steered a free kick wide.  

St Neots needed to pep up their game and so on the hour Guy Mailancol was introduced replacing Isaac Galliford. He was quickly in action returning a Hawkins corner to the far post where the unmarked Frater saw his header rebound from the woodwork.  

Now St Neots began to press but home keeper Kauppinen dominated his penalty area collecting crosses and dealing with shots from Hawkins and Mat Mitchel-King. Danny Gay made a fine save with his legs to deny Ashan Holgate and then after 72 minutes Hawkins was wrestled to the ground but no penalty was given.   The perpetrator of the tackle Greg Tindle injured his back and was stretched off after a six minutes delay.  

St Neots then had much the better of the last ten minutes and were rewarded seven minutes from time when Frater headed home a Mailancol cross with the home side clearly looking to waste time.  

The draw was well deserved but St Neots must start to convert those draws into three points, trailing the league leaders by four points.





St Neots: Gay, TannWilkinson, Hall, Ward, Anton, Frater, Mitchel-King, Meechan, Hawkins, Galliford

SubsMailancol (for Galliford 60), Longden (for Meechan 90)Trotman, Beech and Sutton.

Cards:  Frater (Y – 19)

Goals: Frater  (83 mins)


ChippenhamKauppinen, Ballinger, Jones, Pook, Tindle, Preece, Ferguson, Smith, Holgate, Allen, Guthrie

Subs:  McCormack (for Tindle 72), Taylor (for Jones72), Campbell (for Ferguson 86), Bevan and Phillips.

Cards: Guthrie (Y – 31)

Goals: Guthrie (9 mins)




RefereeJonathan Hollier (Basingstoke)


John Walker