St Neots Town FC 0 : 1 Kings Lynn Town FC
St Neots Town FC 0 : 1
Kings Lynn Town FC
Saturday 02 January, 2016 15:00

Southern League Premier Division

ST NEOTS TOWN     0        KINGS LYNN TOWN      1

St Neots worst ever run of results in the Southern League was perpetuated as Kings Lynn stole all three points with a late goal.   It is now eight matches without a win and alarm bells must be ringing.  Despite two more players returning from their injury list St Neots were lacking in ideas and finishing and their afternoon was clearly summed up when skipper Ryan Frater fluffed the simplest of chances of anequalizer when he fired over the bar with the net gaping five minutes into added time.   Lynn defended well and will have been delighted to take full points but St Neots must arrest their freefall if they are not to convert play off ambitions into a relegation battle.   They had the bonus of Shane Blackett and Matt Mitchel-King both returning from injury absence but their approach to the match seemed woefully short of confidence and with Drew Roberts still injured their decision to play Tom Meechan as a lone striker starved the team of scoring opportunities.   They have now scored just four goals in their last five matches and with Roberts’ fitness a long term doubt Manager David Batch might be having to strengthen in that department but his main concern will be his players’ apparent lack of belief in themselves and the team.  With six league matches and a Hunts Senior Cup semi-final in quick succession January is beginning to look a critical month.

With the two teams looking fairly matched the first half was rather a pallid affair and despite playing being end to end neither goalkeeper had a serious save to make in the first 45 minutes.  St Neots could have been ahead in the second minute when from an Isaac Galliford corner Shane Blackett saw a shot blocked but the ball fell kindly for Ryan Hawkins who skied it high over the bar.   At the other end Jacek Zielonka finished in similar fashion and despite both sides looking prepared to go forward in search of goals the finishing from both was very poor and too often well off target.   Robbie Sweeney on loan from Stevenage making only his second start volleyed over the bar whilst for the Linnets Lee Stevenson had a shot blocked to presentLiam Hurst with the visitors’ best first half chance but he shot high over the bar.   St Neots persevered with a 4-4-1-1 formation with alternately Galliford and Sweeney playingbehind Meechan and created very little so the goalless first period was very predictable.

Lynn came out looking very much more positive and determined and had much the better of play for twenty minutes or so.   Jacek Zielonka played clear shot weakly wide and then Liam Hurst put Michael Clunan in on goal and only a full length stop by Andy Wilton saved St Neots after 49 minutes.   Two minutes later Wilton left his line only to be lobbed by Lee Stevenson but Ryan Frater galloped back to clear off the line and then Stevenson beat the thinly disguised St Neots offside trap but shot wide with just the keeper to beat.   St Neots sent on Remy Gordon to boost their attack but the visitors also introduced fresh blood and defender Ryan Fryatt went close from a set piece.   Another St Neots tactical change saw Lee Clarke on in midfield with Adam Tann moved to full back in place of Jamie Anton just after the defender had seen his long cross steered off the line by Stevenson.  However in the last 15 minutes St Neots looked the stronger and more positive side with visiting keeper Alex Street saving at the feet of Meechan.  Ironically during their best spell of the game St Neots conceded the matchwinning goal five minutes from time as they failed to cut out a Clunan corner and substitute David Bridges forced the ball in at close range.   Twice in the last five minutes St Neots were denied what looked like good shouts for penalties as Lynn blocked several close range shots but the Referee waved away the appeals and booked Matt Mitchel-King for protesting too loudly.


St Neots:  Wilton, Anton, Longden, Tann, Frater, Blackett,Hawkins, Mitchel-King, Meechan, Galliford, Sweeney

Subs:  Gordon (for Galliford 61), Clarke (for Anton 75), Ofosu, Hobbs and Mailancol.

Cards:  Tann (Y – 56), Mitchel-King (Y – 86)

Goals:  none


Kings Lynn:  Street, Fryatt (R), Yong, Miller, Gaughran, Smith, Clunan, Hurst, Zielonka, Stevenson, Friend

Subs:  Mulready (for Zielonka 64), Bridges (for Smith 67), Edge (for Friend 85), Castellan and Fryatt (L)

Cards:  none

Goals:  Bridges (85 mins)



RefereeChris Ward (Doncaster)


John Walker