Histon FC 0 : 0 St Neots Town FC
Histon FC 0 : 0
St Neots Town FC
Saturday 13 February, 2016 15:00


Southern League Premier Division


HISTON       0       ST NEOTS TOWN       0         


Neither side really wanted to surrender two points in this tightly fought derby match but in the end a draw was a fair result given that St Neots dominated the first half and Histon looked slightly better after the break.  


So, St Neots stayed six points ahead of their hosts with two games in hand but with two of the four sides in the relegation zone picking up points neither can afford to relax. St Neots have thirteen matches to play but still need a minimum of six or seven points to guarantee likely survival and the real bonus was the clean sheet – their first since November 3rd.  


With four key players still injured St Neots were without Tom Meechan and Jamie Anton in addition for this match but there was a first ever senior start for Junior Moya – another product of the Club’s youth system. In the second half Erhan Nurettin, another of the U18 players in the squad also made a debut substitute appearance along with Dan Hobbs and Claudio Ofosu so all are gradually gaining valuable experience at the higher level.


As early as the second minute St Neots looked to be denied a certain penalty when Brett Longden burst into the penalty area to be upended but the Referee waved play on. Operating a 4-4-2 formation St Neots showed early initiative as Josh Dawkin brought a good save from home keeper Denzel Gerrar and joining the attack again Longden fired over the bar. After 20 minutes the home keeper then had to dive bravely at the feet of Dawkin who had weaved his way past two defenders and then a Roberts cross fed Dawkin whose effort was deflected by a defender. It was 25 minutes before Histon had their first real chance created by what could have been an expensive error. Under no real pressure, Tom Ward sliced a clearance to the feet of the unmarked Joe Carden and his shot across Andy Wilton rebounded from the inside of the far post to be scrambled clear.  


St Neots playing some good close passing football created more chances as Longden shot wide and Muya tested Gerrar with a cross from the bye line. Carden then got behind the St Neots defence to bring a good save from Andy Wilton and the first half ended with George Casey forcing Gerrar to touch his dipping shot over the cross bar.


Histon had been playing with a lone striker in the first half and St Neots changed their tactics after the break leaving Drew Roberts alone up front with substitutes Dan Hobbs and Claudio Ofosu in what became a crowded midfield. Both sides played some neat football when in possession but created very few clear chances with Roberts and Josh Oyinsan both looking isolated and lacking sufficient support to test either defence. Former St Neots player Ryan Auger shot narrowly over the bar from distance for Histon and Roberts showed his frustration by picking up a booking for dissent after he had clearly been fouled but not compensated.


With fifteen minutes left Histon pressed forward and Oyinsan cleverly held the ball up for Nick Freeman to join him but the finish was poor. Ofosu set up Casey on the overlap but his shot was blocked and then a Freeman corner was punched away under pressure by Wilton. The frantic end to end late search for a winning goal continued and Casey saw his shot tipped over the bar by Gerrar and in the final minute Longdon and Miles Smith clashed off the ball at a late corner and both were booked.   Already facing a two match ban for ten cautions this season this was the St Neots’ full back’s eleventh yellow card since 8th August.




St Neots:  Wilton, Muya, Longden, Tann, Ward, Smyth, Casey, Clark (P), Roberts, Akinyemi, Dawkin


Subs:  Ofosu (for Akinyemi 46), Hobbs (for Muya 46), Nurettin (for Dawkin 82) Rudman and Jeckells.


Cards:  Tann (Y – 36), Roberts (Y – 71), Longden (Y – 90)


Goals:  none




Histon:  Gerrar, Norman, Sibanda, Bexfield, Smith, Rumens, Carden, McGeorge, Oyinson, Auger, Freeman


Subs:  Fulcher, Allen and Ourtilbour (none used).


Cards:  Smith (Y – 90)


Goals:  none


Attendance: 293


Referee: Michael George (Norwich)




John Walker