St Neots Town FC 2 : 2 Cambridge City
Round Two
St Neots Town FC 2 : 2
Cambridge City
Tuesday 10 November, 2015 19:45


Southern League Red Insure Cup Round Two




ST NEOTS TOWN       2       CAMBRIDGE CITY      2         


(Cambridge won 3-2 on penalties)




It was the dreaded penalty shoot-out that did for St Neots.  For the fourth successive time in just fourteen months their inability to consistently beat the keeper from twelve yards has cost them progression in cup competition after a match between two very well balanced sides.  St Neots shaded the first 45 minutes but Cambridge looked the better side for much of the second half and the penalty shoot-out was a nervy affair with St Neots keeper Ollie Sutton making an excellent save to deny Lee Chaffey whilst visiting keeper Zac Barrett kept efforts from Connor Hall and Ryan Horne out.   Only Tom Meechan and Josh Beech put their penalties away for St Neots whilst Danny Kelly, Josh Dawkin and John Kyriacou had made the score 3-2 after just five spot kicks.   The last five were all missed with Lee Clarke (St Neots) and Alex Sarrano (Cambridge) both off target.  However there was a welcome return to serious action for Drew Roberts who played the first 45 minutes and looked quite sharp and in other team changes Adam Tann and Ryan Horne were preferred to Josh Beech and Isaac Galliford who were both on the bench.


In the very first attack Zac Barrett had to make a double save from close range efforts by Lee Clarke and Ryan Horne which Tom Meechan was sent sprawling but received no free kick.   Duran Reynolds headed the visitors’ first serious attempt on goal well wide from a Buster Harradine corner whilst Ryan Hawkins employed in a wide role looked lively testing Barrett with a clever chip and then setting up Roberts whose lob was too high.   Barrett saved well from Matt Mitchel-King and then there was a glimpse of the old Roberts as he sprinted through to pick up a Hall pass but shoot over the bar.   Six minutes before the break Hawkins took on two defenders before surprising Barrett with a long shot that looped over the keeper and into the net to put St Neots in front.   However the lead was short-lived because two minutes later the visitors levelled as Danny Kelly burst between two defenders to beat Sutton with a low shot and it could have been worse for St Neots had Mitchel-King not produced a last gasp interception on the stroke of half time.


Claudio Ofosu was introduced to relieve Roberts at the restart but Cambridge began well as Kelly outwitted Blackett on the bye line to set up Michael Malcolm who somehow shot over the bar from six yards.   St Neots replied with their second goal as Connor Hall outjumped Barrett from a Hawkins free kick to send his towering header into the net to restore St Neots lead.   However that was as good as it got as Cambridge began to dominate the game.  St Neots sent on Josh Beech for the limping Mitchel-King but they seemed to lose their composure too often surrendering space ion midfield and being forced to defend in numbers.   After 68 minutes the scores were levelled for a second time when Josh Dawkins took a return pass from a short corner to power an angled shot past Sutton.   Now it needed one of the sides to grasp the initiative but despite play moving fairly freely from end to end the visitors looked the slicker and more confident and Malcolm had one shot rebound from a post before missing another simple chance to win the game.   Another half hit shot from the same player was scraped off the line by Jamie Anton whilst St Neots best openings saw Meechan twice shoot off target.   St Neots almost stole the result two minutes from time when Beech had a flick from a Meechan corner well blocked by Barrett.   Then to the penalties……








St Neots: Sutton, Tann, Hall, Mitchel-King, Anton, Blackett, Hawkins, Clarke, Meechan, Roberts, Horne


Subs: Ofosu (for Roberts 46),Beech (for Mitchel-King 58), Vieira (for Hawkins 73), Galliford and Wilton


Cards:  Clarke (Y – 61)


Goals:  Hawkins (39 mins), Hall (49 mins)




Cambridge: Barrett, Kyriacou, Pepper, Murray, Reynolds, Harradine, Lewis, Kaye, Malcolm, Kelly, Dawkin


Subs:  Serrano (for Reynolds 65 mins), Chaffey (for Murray 65), Tabiri (for Lewis 83), Norris and Carman.


Cards: Murray (Y – 45)


Goals:  Kelly (41mins), Dawkin (68 mins)




Attendance: 185




Referee: Richard Hart (St Ives)




John Walker