St Neots Town U18 1 : 4 St. Ives Town U18
Round Two
St Neots Town U18 1 : 4
St. Ives Town U18
Thursday 12 November, 2015 19:45


Huntingdonshire County Youth Cup – Round Two




ST NEOTS TOWN U18      1        ST IVES TOWN U18      4             




St Ives U18 side comfortably won the battle of the Saints in the County U18 Cup competition to deservedly avenge a defeat they suffered at St Neots twelve months ago in the same competition.   St Neots can have no complaint because they were beaten on the night by a better side that looked well organised and confident but St Neots can claim slight fatigue having completed a league match at Godmanchester just 48 hours earlier.




There was an explosive start to the match with both sides scoring in the opening five minutes.   St Neots claimed first blood when skipper Zac Rudman rose high above the defence after just two minutes to power in a header from a Dan Lewis corner but three minutes later Matthew Wright left two defenders in his wake to test Evan Jeckells with a rising shot that the keeper could only parry and Bailey Pilling followed in to pick up the rebound to level the scores.  Sam Davidson then had a shot blocked as St Ives began to dictate play and they took the lead after 14 minutes when Joseph Morgan- McDaid set up Samuel Land who unleashed a perfectly placed shot over the head of Evan Jeckells who was a couple of yards off his line.   St Neots approach play looked good but they lacked penetration in the final third of the field and were restricted to a single lengthy free kick from Charlie Lewis that sailed over the bar.   Owen Bevan then shot wide after clever play by Dan Hobbs but two minutes before the break St Ives deservedly extended their lead when Bailey Pilling claimed his second goal set up by substitute Kieran Thompson.




St Neots needed to respond quickly after the restart if they were to make inroads on the visitors two goals cushion but despite strong midfield contributions from Hobbs and Charlie Lewis they failed to test the St Ives defence.   Chris Lewis was playing a lone role in attack but he was well policed by Callum Shepherd and George Reader whilst St Ives effectively slowed the pace to retain their advantage.   Chris Lewis did produce two efforts – one across the face of goal and the second well blocked by a defender and it was frustrating that St Neots were unable to convert their superior second half possession into goals.   St Ives effectively settled the issue beyond doubt ten minutes from time when substitute Charlie McManus shot home through a crowded penalty area after the St Neots defence had failed to deal with a Morgan- McDaid free kick.   Too late to be effective St Neots finished strongly as Rudman hit the bar with a header from a corner and Cassius shot over the bar from a narrow angle.






St Neots: Jeckells, Theodoulou, Beavis, Lewis (Charlie), Rudman, Haywood,, Lewis (Dan), Gooderham, Lewis (Chris), Hobbs, Bevan




Subs used:  Cassius, Taylor, Dixon.




Cards: none




Goals (St Neots):  Rudman (2 mins)




Goals (St Ives):     Pilling 2 (5 & 42 mins), Land (14 mins), McManus (80 mins)




John Walker