St Neots Town FC 1 : 2 Arlesey Town
SLP 43
St Neots Town FC 1 : 2
Arlesey Town
Saturday 06 April, 2013 15:00


Evo-Stik Southern League Premier Division


ST NEOTS TOWN       1       ARLESEY TOWN       2


For the second time in a week St Neots saw a single goal half time lead evaporate as they fell to their ninth home defeat of the season.   Clearly the better side in the first half they failed to convert their superior possession into goals and paid the penalty although with Junior Konadu and Adrian Sear bossing midfield St Neots created enough openings to expect at least a share of the points.   With Ed Adjei and Jai Davies selected up front St Neots never looked to have enough strike force to seriously test the Arlesey defence even though the pair never gave up trying.   However with just eight goals in their last six matches (including four of those against relegated Kettering) it is easy to see where some team strengthening is required.  What was said in the visitors dressing room at half time is not on the record but it certainly had an effect as Arlesey came back to snatch the two goals and all three points to keep their slender hopes of a play off place alive.   

Arlesey created the first opening of the match after just six minutes as Aston Goss drifted past the last defender to shoot across the face of goal but after that in the first half hour there was very little action in and around the St Neots penalty area.   With Junior Konadu back in his familiar midfield role St Neots dominated play as Jai Davies had a volley saved and Junior set up Jordy Nkinga to shoot over the bar.   Ironically the St Neots goal came following a cynical foul by their former midfielder Ollie Thorne who was booked for upending Adrian Sear.  From the free kick Lewis Hilliard curled the ball past Nathan Abbey and into the corner of the net after 18 minutes.   Five minutes later a great cross from Ryan Auger produced a tumbling header from Ed Adjei that passed just the wrong side of a post as St Neots looked good for a second goal.   On a quick break at the other end Nathan Koranteng cleared off the St Neots goal line but Abbey was by far the busier keeper saving from Adjei and Hilliard.  Right on half time Arlesey did summon up an attack on the right but Giddens saved the shot from Goss.

With lively substitute Chris Marsh on at the start of the second half Arlesey looked far more purposeful and Sear did well to clear off the line from Christopher Dillon with Giddens beaten.   However St Neots still had their chances with both Davies and Koranteng shooting wide when well placed.   Then after 54 minutes a well crafted goal saw Arlesey draw level as full back Shane Blackett overlapped purposefully to cross for Christopher Dillon to score with a well placed firm header.   Sixty seconds later St Neots though they had regained the lead when a superb through ball by Junior picked out Ed Adjei and he netted only to be denied by an offside flag.   Ryan Auger moved forward to shoot narrowly wide and it was either side’s game but it was Arlesey who made the significant breakthrough.   After 75 minutes a long clearance from Abbey was chased wide on the left by Drew Roberts whose cross cum shot completely deceived Giddens who never even moved as the angled shot went past him into the far corner of the net.   St Neots looked deflated and only created two chances in the last fifteen minutes.   The first was from a Hilliard cross but substitute Andre Da Costa got underneath the ball and headed over the bar and the second a re-run of the disallowed goal as Junior found Adjei in space but he overran the ball and Abbey dived gratefully at his feet to smother.



St Neots: Giddens, Auger, Nkinga, Sear, Lee, Hoyte, Adjei, Konadu, Hilliard, Davies, Koranteng.

Subs:  Meech (for Nkinga 68 mins), Da Costa (for Koranteng 77 mins), Wood, Sharman and Conroy.

Cards: none




Arlesey: Abbey, Mawer, Blackett, Frater, Gordon, B.Farrell, Prosper, Thorne, Dillon, Roberts, Goss.

Subs:  Marsh (for Farrell 46 mins), Hatch (for Blackett 71 mins), Forsythe (for Roberts 90+2), S.Farrell and Bussey.

Cards: Thorne (Y – 17), B.Farrell (Y – 21)


Attendance: 273


Referee:  Nigel Smith (Bourne, Lincs)


John Walker