Kings Lynn Town FC 1 : 1 St Neots Town FC
Kings Lynn Town FC 1 : 1
St Neots Town FC
Wednesday 30 March, 2016 19:45


Evostik League Southern Premier Division


King’s Lynn Town 1 St Neots Town 1


St Neots secured their third consecutive draw on Wednesday in this hastily re-arranged game that had fallen foul of the weather just 48 hours earlier.


King’s Lynn had the better of the opening exchanges with the first chance of game coming as early as the second minute but Mulready finished poorly after being played clear by an excellent cross field ball by Bridges and his effort went tamely wide. A one-two down the right between Hilliard and Stevenson almost created another chance for Mulready but the cross just eluded him and then Archer had to be on his toes to save efforts from first Bridges and then a direct free kick from Stevenson. It was probably no surprise that the hosts took the lead after fifteen minutes as Hilliard touched home from close range after Ryan Fryatt had won the aerial battle following a Stevenson free kick. Saints tried to respond but were restricted to two long range efforts in the first half an hour from Roberts and Gordon both of which failed to rest the home keeper.


King’s Lynn almost doubled their lead after thirty two minutes when Hilliard connected with a volley which hit the post with Archer well beaten but he recovered to collect the follow up from Bridges.


Saints started the second half better than the first and an early chance for Gordon following a Schiavi cross fell just wide whilst at the other end King’s Lynn were restricted to a Sands free kick that cleared the cross bar until a good chance was created for Bridges on the hour mark by Ryan Fryatt but he shot over when well placed.


Saints equalised after 65 minutes when Drew Roberts beat home keeper Alex Street direct from a 20 yard free kick.  It could have been even better five minutes later as Casey combined with substitute Kelly but his cross was ballooned over the bar by Roberts when it appeared easier to score and then Substitute Brown was denied a minute later by the woodwork as Saints continued to press forward.


As the game entered the last ten minutes Saints looked defensively secure with King’s Lynn struggling to find the rhythm they had shown in the first half, summed up by a weak effort 20 yard shot from Sands which went wide when he would have been far better playing in the unmarked Zielonka and the first booking of the game picked up by Bridges for showing dissent after an offside decision. Although Archer was called in to action twice more, saving at the feet of Castellan and palming away a fierce Stevenson strike, Saints left The Walks with a well deserved point that had looked unlikely at the break.


St Neots: Archer, Casey, Longden, Tann, Ward, Burns, Schiavi, Clarke (L), Clark (P), Roberts, Gordon  Subs Brown (for Clark (P) 61), Kelly (for Schiavi 64), Ofusu (for Roberts 89) Hobbs and Jeckells


Bookings: None


King’s Lynn: Street, Fryatt (R), Yong, Gaughran, Castellan, Fryatt (L), Hilliard, Stevenson, Mulready, Sands, Bridges  Subs Zielonka (for Mulready 68), Hurst (for Hilliard 77), Friend, McQuaid, Miller


Bookings Bridges (82)


Attendance 354                                                                           (Roger Walker)