St Neots Town FC 1 : 2 Soham Town Rangers
St Neots Town FC 1 : 2
Soham Town Rangers
Tuesday 02 August, 2016 19:45


Pre-season friendly






ST NEOTS TOWN       1        SOHAM TOWN RANGERS      2     


Former St Neots starlets Jordan Gent and Ryan Sharman returned to the Premier Plus Stadium to help their team deliver a late blow with an 85th minute goal to defeat St Neots in their final pre-season friendly.   Up until that point it was all going well with the home side dominating the closing stages of the second half.   St Neots fielded a fairly strong line up with just Alex Archer and Tom Ward rested and Jonny Hall injured.  Gent and Sharman who both graduated through the St Neots youth programme played a part in St Neots’ first two seasons in the Southern league but having been put out to Soham on loan they opted to stay and Gent is now Soham skipper and mainstay.




After a very even start to the match with both defenses well on top St Neots made two good chances to take the lead.   After 20 minutes a delightful flick by Dubi Ogbonna freed up James Hall and he rounded the keeper but his shot was blocked on the line by Ash White and then the two combined again as Hall crossed from the left and Ogbonna’s glancing header beat the keeper but rebounded from the crossbar.   Soham too were making more attacking progress and a fierce Sharman shot was pushed over the bar by home keeper Sam Donkin.   From the corner Gent headed narrowly wide and then Donkin had to save at the feet of Darren Foxley.   A Declan Rogers shot was deflected for a corner and Rogan McGeorge got the ball in the net for St Neots but was ruled offside.




Three minutes after the break Jordan Patrick was introduced as a substitute for Ogbonna moving Rogers up to partner Hall in attack and within sixty seconds the switch saw a Ryan Hawkins shot fumbled by keeper George Lawton and Declan Rogers pounced to claim his first goal since the opening pre-season match.   From another Rogers effort Lewis McDonald almost turned the ball past his own keeper but after 66 minutes’ full back Billy Harris levelled the scored with a deflected shot that gave Donkin no chance.   The winning goal arrived against the run of play as skipper Taylor Parr conceded a careless free kick twenty yards from goal and substitute Will Gardner curled the perfectly placed free kick just inside the angle of bar and post to win the match for Soham.   It was a disappointing result but a very useful final workout prior to the first league match away at Slough.








St Neots:  Donkin, Mason, Butt, McGeorge, Parr, Wood, Hawkins, Clark, Hall James, Ogbonna, Rogers


Subs:  Patrick (for Ogbonna 48 mins), Brown (for Hall 80 mins), Hobbs (for Rogers 80 mins), Muya (for Mason 80 mins), Jeckells (for Donkin 80 mins).


Goals:  Rogers (49 mins)




Referee: Junior Jones-Eyre (Peterborough)




John Walker