Slough Town 2 : 0 St Neots Town FC
Slough Town 2 : 0
St Neots Town FC
Saturday 06 August, 2016 15:00


Evostik League Southern Premier Division


Slough Town  2 – 0  St Neots Town


St Neots Town’s Holloway Park Hoodoo continued on the opening day of the 2016/17 season as they finished on the wrong end of a two – nil scoreline and ended the game with only ten men after skipper Tom Ward was given a straight red card after an off the ball incident in the 43rd minute.


On the ground where The Saints have never returned home with more than a point when facing Slough, Joint Manager Andy Davies was forced to shuffle his starting eleven prior to the match with the trio of Jonny Hall, Jordan Patrick and Ryan Hawkins all reporting in as injured, so in came Tom Wood, Claudio Ofosu and Dubi Ogbonna with a chance to claim a regular starting berth and their was a surprise in goal too as Sam Donkin kept the yellow jersey, forcing the recently returning from holiday Alex Archer to be content with a place on the bench.


The game, in searing temperatures, started fairly evenly with both teams probing early on however Slough only had to wait until the 14th minute to edge in front when Donkin did very well to tip over a piledriver and from the resultant corner it was Callum Mooney who crashed home the opening goal. This really spurred on the home side and they pressed forward looking for the second goal and Saints’ only real effort on goal of any real note from this point up until the break was a rasping, low drive from Rogan McGeorge, who had earlier picked up the first caution of the day, which sadly flew just wide of the goal.


The Saints were struggling to get a foothold in the game, dispite plenty of movement from the ever eager James Hall and things were about to go from bad to worse as Tom Ward was, in the referee’s opinion, deemed to have committed an act of violent conduct. At this point, the out of sorts Ofosu was sacrificed and withdrawn, allowing Tom Wood to slide across into the centre of defence with the imperious Tyler Parr and substitute Charlie Butt filling the left back position.


Half Time: Slough Town 1 – 0 St Neots Town


The second half continued as the first had ended with Slough looking the more likely to score and their supporters had only eight minutes to wait until Warren Harris side footed the ball into the top corner of the net. This prompted the st Neots bench into a change in personnel as the ineffective Ogbonna was replaced by the lively Jordan Brown and minutes later, the tiring McGeorge giving way to Dan Hobbs.


The introduction of new legs gave the Saints renewed hope and they had their best spell of the game culminating in a fizzing drive from Pete Clark arrowing just wide and James Hall testing the keeper with a far post header after Charlie Butt had delivered the accurate cross from the left.


Sadly, it wasn’t to be our day and we were deservedly beaten but despite the final score, there were notable displays from goalkeeper Donkin, centre-half Parr and young Mason at right back and if nothing else, a valuable lesson learned by the players that at this level, anything less than one hundred percent commitment and effort will be punished by opposition as you can’t afford to be carrying passengers, something I’m sure will be hammered home by the management before Tuesday’s visit of Kings Lynn Town.


Saints: Donkin, Mason, Wood, McGeorge (Hobbs), Ward, Parr, Ofofsu (Butt), Clark, Hall, Ogbonna, Rogers


Subs Not Used: Archer


Goals: None


Cards: McGeorge (Yellow), Ward (Red)



In John Walker's absence - Mike Green