St Neots Town FC 3 : 3 Chippenham Town
St Neots Town FC 3 : 3
Chippenham Town
Saturday 27 August, 2016 15:00


Southern League Premier Division


ST NEOTS TOWN       3       CHIPPENHAM TOWN      3


Four goals in the last 23 minutes lifted this match from first half obscurity into a cliff hanger but the end result was about right with St Neots happy to share the spoils after surrendering a two goals lead.   League leaders Chippenham maintained their unbeaten tag whilst St Neots’ relatively inexperienced side will have learned an important lesson about concentration in defence.   The outcome of the match hinged on the visitors’ inspired use of substitutes for it was two of the replacement players that hauled Chippenham back into the match with headed goals when they had trailed by two goals after an hour.   St Neots welcomed back skipper Tom Ward after suspension and he added a solidity to the defence apart from that ninety seconds second half spell when the goals went in.   Also back in the side was Ryan Hawkins after injury


The first half was a rather dour affair with the two sides exchanging attacks without really testing either goalkeeper.  A shot wide of target by David Pratt on the turn and a free kick by James Guthrie that landed on the roof of the net summed up the visitors’ best efforts in the first 40 minutes whilst Jordan Patrick had a shot cleared off the line by Greg Tindle and Declan Rogers brought a reflex save from Kent Kaupinnen.   It was however fairly unconvincing until 37th minute when a James Hall shot rolled over the line to give St Neots the lead despite the keeper getting half a hand to the ball.   Chippenham responded with a barrage of attacking play in the five minutes before half time with an Andy Sandell header being pushed over the bar by Alex Archer after both a Pratt shot rebounded from a post and a follow up effort by Sandell came back into play off the crossbar.


If the first half had finished with excitement the second half began with more for after ninety seconds James Hall crossed from the left to pick out the unmarked Declan Rogers and he doubled St Neots’ lead.   Both sides sent on substitutes with St Neots seeming to filter back on defence handing the initiative to their visitors who quickly took full advantage.   Sandell saw a dipping shot turned over the bar by Archer and both Nuno Felix and Pratt shot over the bar.   An intuitive lob from the hard-working Peter Clark beat the keeper but also the goal and it was Chippenham utilizing their momentum as they scored twice in ninety seconds to level the scores.   After 67 minutes a cross from Matt Smith found the head of substitute Matt Jones and he made no mistake and in the next attack a Sandell cross reached the unmarked Alan Griffin and he became the second visiting substitute to score.  St Neots settled after these setbacks but found it difficult to pierce the visiting defence and with five minutes’ left Chippenham seemed to have mounted the perfect come-back when Will Richards thundered home another cross by Sandell.  However, St Neots refused to be beaten and inside the final minute a Declan Rogers corner was headed firmly into the net by Taylor Parr to claim his first St Neots goal.   The three goals leaves St Neots as the leading scorers in the Premier Division after six matches and with three wins and a draw from six matches it must be regarded as a satisfactory start.












St Neots:  Archer, Smith, Wood, McGeorge, Ward, Parr, Hawkins, Clark, James Hall, Rogers, Patrick


Subs:  Hyem (for Hawkins 54 mins),Mason (for Wood 73 mins),Hobbs (for Patrick 90 mins)


Butt and Spark.


Cards:  Hall (Y – 37), Parr (Y – 64)




Goals:  Hall (37), Rogers (46), Parr (89)




Chippenham:  Kaupinnen, McCormack, Felix,Pook, Tindle, Richards, Fergusson,Smith, Pratt, Sandell, Guthrie


Subs:  Preece (for Guthrie 51 mins),Griffin (for McCormack 51 mins), Jones (for Felix (65 mins), Allen and Jenkinson.


Cards:  Sandell (Y – 22), Jones (Y – 78)




Goals:  Jones (67), Griffin (68), Richards (85)


Attendance: 222


Referee: Stephen Bates (St Albans)




John Walker