Biggleswade Town 2 : 0 St Neots Town FC
Biggleswade Town 2 : 0
St Neots Town FC
Monday 29 August, 2016 15:00


Southern League Premier Division


BIGGLESWADE TOWN      2        ST NEOTS TOWN       0      


Biggleswade striker Ineh Effiong carved out a magnificent second goal for his side that effectively clinched all three points in this Bank Holiday encounter.  Throughout the match the beleaguered St Neots defence had no answer to the striker’s strength and pace and their enthusiastic travelling support was left with little to shout about from an overall disappointing performance.   The side seemed drained of the determination and fight they had shown 48 hours earlier in taking a point off the league leaders and Andy Davies must now rebuild the confidence of his team ahead of next weekend’s FA Cup tie.   St Neots were without striker James Hall who was unavailable and he was replaced by Jordan Brown who made little headway against the solid home defence marshalled by another former St Neots player Gavin Hoyte    Davies also shuffled his pack bringing in fit again Jon Hall for Tom Wood and giving Michael Hyem the nod ahead of Ryan Hawkins who still looks a fair way from match fitness.


In front of a sizeable shirt-sleeved crowd the first half was fairly evenly balanced with former St Neots player Connor Hall prominent in midfield for the home side.   He headed over the bar in the first real attack of the game and then saw a second effort following a corner blocked on the goal line.  St Neots responded with skipper Tom Ward heading against the cross bar from a Declan Rogers corner but Effiong was beginning to cause problems for the St Neots back line and Taylor Parr had to clear one of his efforts off the line with Alex Archer out of position.   The sides exchanged attacking moves with Rogers shooting narrowly over the bar from a Jordan Brown knock down at one end and Effiong breaking through at the other end to see his effort sail over the bar.   St Neots then had a Jordan Patrick shot parried by Ian Brown and a Taylor Parr header cleared off the line but Effiong had the last word in the first half shooting wide when he should at least have tested Archer.


Six minutes after the restart the home side went ahead when a Callum Lewis corner was headed away but only as far as the edge of the penalty area where Connor Hall unleashed a fierce volley that gave Archer no chance.   In a generally good tempered match Connor Hall and Rogan McGeorge were yellow-carded after a mid-pitch flare up but Biggleswade were beginning to get on top with Daniel Clifton and Tony Burnett both shooting narrowly off-target.   The divining moment came on 68 minutes when Effiong playing the lone striker role had to go it alone and he found a burst of pace to outwit the defence and create space to fire home an unstoppable shot past the helpless Archer.   With Ryan Hawkins on for Hyem St Neots needed a swift and positive response but it never came and Archer had to produce the save of the match to deny Mark Coulson who had been given too much space.  Both sides sent on further substitutes – the home side to slow the pattern of play and St Neots to search for inspiration but it was all in vain and Biggleswade deservedly took all three points from this season’s first battle of the A1.














St Neots: Archer, Smith, Jon Hall, McGeorge, Ward, Parr, Patrick, Clark, Brown, Hyem, Rogers


Subs: Hawkins (for Hyem 59 mins),Wood (for Brown 77 mins),Mason,Butt and Spark.


Cards:  McGeorge (Y – 56)




Goals:  Hall (37)




Biggleswade: Brown, Lewis, Perry, Short, Hoyte, Connor Hall, Clifton, Parker, Effiong, Burnett, Coulson


Subs: Norman (for Connor Hall 76 mins), Bailey (for Effiong 86 mins), Anderson (for Clifton 90+2 mins), Hunt and Donkin.


Cards:  Connor Hall (Y – 56)




Goals:  Connor Hall (51), Effiong (68)


Attendance: 345


Referee: Peter Killip (Crystal Palace)




John Walker