St Neots Town FC 1 : 5 Kettering Town
St Neots Town FC 1 : 5
Kettering Town
Tuesday 13 September, 2016 19:45

Southern League Premier Division

ST NEOTS TOWN      1       KETTERING TOWN      5


St Neots suffered their biggest home defeat for two years at the hands of a slick and determined visiting Kettering side who now boast the best away record in the Division.   Their chief tormentor was Spencer Weir-Daley who scored a superb hat trick of well taken goals in 50 mins either side of half time.   St Neots were without Taylor Parr who was beginning a lengthy spell of suspension and his replacement Tom Wood was under constant pressure at the heart of the home defence.  However, there was one bright spot in defeat – the return to form of Ryan Hawkins who was back to his best on St Neots right flank crowning his performance with the best of the six goals that were scored.   The other St Neots team change saw the return of Rogan McGeorge in midfield with Jordan Patrick on the bench.  St Neots will have a swift opportunity to make amends for their second successive home defeat because Kettering return to the Premier Plus Stadium in three weeks’ time in the first round of this season’s Red Insure Cup competition.

The visitors got off to a flyer as they totally dominated the opening 25 minutes mounting wave after wave of attacks on the home defence.   In the third minute Rene Howe only just failed to get on the end of a James Brighton cross in front of an open goal and then visiting skipper Brett Solkhon was left unmarked ten yards from goal but he sent his header well wide to St Neots’ relief from a Don Langdon cross.   However, the respite lasted only fourteen minutes and then St Neots under pressure keeper Alex Archer failed to hold on to a cross from the right leaving Spencer Weir-Daley with a tap-in finish to open the scoring.   The same player had the ball in the net four minutes later but his effort was ruled out by an offside flag and then Howe flashed a shot inches wide of a post with Archer beaten.   There were brief flashes of defiance notably from Ryan Hawkins who was marauding down the right flank and spraying dangerous crosses into the Kettering box but St Neots were playing with just James Hall up front and he was being outnumbered by defenders.   Hall did go close with one effort that drifted wide but eight minutes before half time Kettering sealed their domination of the half when Nathan Hicks took a clever return pass from Weir-Daley to go clear and beat Archer from a narrow angle.   Worse was to follow five minutes later when Weir-Daley added his second goal when the home defence failed to deal with a cross from the right.   St Neots best first half chance fell to Declan Rogers who shot over after unselfish play by James Hall.


It looked like a different St Neots side that emerged after the interval.   They took the game to their visitors with a brand of attacking football not seen in the first 45 minutes.   Paul White had to go full length to push away a shot from Micky Hyem and James Hall headed straight into the keepers’ arms.  Then after 52 minutes Ryan Hawkins went past two defenders before cutting inside to unleash his first St Neots goal since November last year following his lengthy injury absence.  That seemed to inspire his side and Declan Rogers just failed to reach a Hawkins cross in from of goal as Kettering seemed to buckle.  However, any hopes of a dramatic recovery were cruelly crushed after 68 minutes when in a rare breakaway attack Weir-Daley completed his hat trick with the St Neots defence caught short.  St Neots sent on substitute Jordan Patrick and he looked very lively down the left as St Neots strived to chase what was effectively a lost cause and he brought a good save from White before setting up James Hall for a shot that flew wide.   Hawkins then found the head of James Hall who again could not find the target and the match ended disappointingly as Kettering plundered a fifth goal against the run of play, Wilson Carvalho looking well offside tapping in from close range. 


St Neots:  Archer, Mason, Jon Hall, McGeorge, Ward, Wood, Hawkins, Clark, James Hall, Hyem, Rogers

SubsPatrick (for Rogers 71 mins), Spark (for Hyem 81 mins), Smith, Hobbs and Osborne.

Cards:  McGeorge (Y – 37)

Goals:  Hawkins (52)


Kettering:  White, Bateman, Langdon, Solkhon, Haran, Mulligan, Carvalho, Weir-Daley, Howe, Hicks, Brighton

Subs:  Mohamed (for Langdon 49 mins), Canavan (for Weir-Daley 66 mins), (Hornby for Solkhon), Baker and Hill.

Cards:  none

Goals:  Weir-Daley (3) (14, 42 and 68), Hicks (37) and Carvalho (88)


Attendance: 339

Referee: Wayne Porter (Bourne)


John Walker