Dorchester Town 1 : 0 St Neots Town FC
Dorchester Town 1 : 0
St Neots Town FC
Saturday 24 September, 2016 15:00

Southern League Premier Division


DORCHESTER TOWN      1       ST NEOTS TOWN      0      


After their difficult 176 mile journey through hold-ups on motorways and past several accidents St Neots trip to Dorchester could have been made in vain after just 14 minutes’ play when striker James Hall was shown his second yellow card and his side reduced to ten men.  However, the visitors rolled up their sleeves and pushed aside the numbers deficit and marginally looked the better side throughout.   But they did concede the single goal that condemned them to their sixth league defeat leaving them in a relegation spot in the Premier Division of the Southern league.  Their plight was largely thanks to the performance of Swindon Referee Philip Staynings who issued three yellow cards and a red in the first fourteen minutes of a match that still had to get going.   In a contest that did not contain one bad challenge he totaled up eight cautions and left both Managers very disappointed with his performance.   Manager Andy Davies preferred to concentrate on the performance of his team saying that ‘had we had eleven players on the field it was a performance that would surely have brought us three points’.   However, discipline is a problem he must now face because player suspensions will surely affect the results as the season progresses.   With Taylor Parr in the middle of a five match ban he brought in defender Charlie Ward on a dual registration with Sleaford Town of the UCL, brother of skipper Tom, to play alongside him in defence and he was one of the players who can be proud of their performance on the day.  In the other team change Miles Smith returned in defence.

Before any notable action had occurred the Referee had booked a player on each side for trivial first offences and St Neots were reduced to ten men.   It was 24 minutes before there was a credible attempt on goal and that came from 35 yards from Dory Yates whose shot beat visiting goalkeeper Alex Archer but rebounded from the crossbar to be cleared.   There was only limited goalmouth action in the first half but Archer did well to race from his line to block at the feet of Ben Wood who was clear of the defence and late in the half he pushed a Nathan Walker header for a corner after Wood had rounded his marker.   In between St Neots best first half effort came from Declan Rogers cleverly set up by Tom Wood but his shot was blocked by Matt Oldrin

After a quiet first half both Managers decided to pep things up sending on two pairs of fresh legs after the break.  St Neots introduced Dom Mason for Jonny Hall who was struggling with an old injury and they also sent on Jordan Patrick for Tom Wood.   It was Dorchester who claimed the immediate benefit for less than two minutes after restart a Neil Martin cross was too long but it was retrieved by Mark Jermyn whose return cross saw Nathan Walker rise high above the defence to head home.   St Neots tried some quick retaliation and Declan Rogers now pushed forward to lead the attack skillfully controlled a through pass from Ryan Hawkins but saw his volley hit the diving goalkeeper to be cleared.   Hawkins was then clearly brought down in the penalty area by Martin but to the amazement of the visitors the Referee booked the St Neots player for diving.   A loose intended back pass by Miles Smith only played Walker clear of the defence but Archer blocked bravely at his feet and then Martin who had previously been booked looked very fortunate to be let off with only a severe verbal warning when he deliberately halted a Hawkins surge towards goal deliberately body checking the St Neots player.  The final fifteen minutes saw St Neots laying siege to the Dorchester goal in search of an equaliser.   Home keeper Shane Murphy led a charmed life heading away a Rogers shot that he misjudged and then having substitute Nick Swann to clear off the line from Rogers.   Dorchester blatantly wasting time hung on to that narrow advantage to claim all three points to climb above their visitors in the table. 


St Neots Archer, Smith, Jon Hall, McGeorge, Ward (T), Ward (C), Hawkins, Clark, James Hall, Wood (T), Rogers

Subs:  Mason (for Jon Hall 46 mins), Patrick (for Wood 46 mins), Spark (for Hawkins 82 mins), Hobbs and Hyem.

Cards James Hall (RED – 14 – 2 yellow 13 & 14), Wood (T) (Y – 5), Hawkins (Y – 59), Rogers (Y – 73)

Goals:  none


Dorchester:  Murphy, Jermyn, Smeeton, Martin, Oldring, Dillon, Yates, Morgan, Walker, Mateus, Wood (B)

Subs:  Swann (for Morgan 46 mins), Bassett (for Wood (B) 46 mins), Jerrard (for Yates 68 mins), Sayers and Solomon-Ayunga

Cards:  Morgan (Y – 6), Martin (Y – 60), Smeeton (Y – 89)

Goals:  Walker (47)


Attendance: 318

Referee: Philip Staynings (Swindon)


John Walker