St Neots Town FC 3 : 1 Cinderford Town
St Neots Town FC 3 : 1
Cinderford Town
Saturday 15 October, 2016 15:00


Southern League Premier Division




There was relief at St Neots as the home side beat visiting Cinderford to record their first league victory since August 20th.   It was the battle of the bottom two sides in the Division and the three points lifted the Saints up a couple of places.   The victory came courtesy of a workmanlike first half performance and a brace of goals from striker Sam Mulready making only his third appearance for St Neots.   There were returns to the starting line-up after suspension for both James Hall and Taylor Parr with Ryan Hawkins and Tom Wood left on the bench – the latter unlucky perhaps after some solid defensive performances.  The visitors were not impressive and St Neots should have made their superior possession count with more goals but the visiting goalkeeper Ben Fletcher led a charmed life at times and the victory should give a boost in confidence with some tough looking fixtures in the remainder of the month.   For Cinderford this was their seventh successive away league defeat and it will perhaps require more clinical finishing as St Neots strive to put together a winning run of results.


St Neots began really confidently with their defence looking sure and Peter Clark buzzing around everywhere in midfield.   They adopted a more attacking 4-3-3 approach and readily created chances but Sam Mulready headed wide, James Hall brought a good save from Fletcher and both Declan Rogers and Tom Spark were both off target.   Little was seen of the home attack although Alex Archer was glad to beat away a fierce volley from Karnell Chambers.   The initial breakthrough came after 21 minutes when Clark bravely won the ball in the air to set up Declan Rogers’ accurate cross an Mulready darted between two statuesque defenders to net.   A Rogers free kick was then saved by the keeper at the second attempt and Mulready shot narrowly wide but after 34 minutes he made up for that turning in an unselfish cross from James Hall at the near post to open up a two goal lead.  Visiting keeper Fletcher was then twice fortunate to block shots from both James Hall and Clark with his legs to see a defender complete the clearance and up for a corner Taylor Parr rose above the defence but headed over.


‘More of the same’ will have been the half time home dressing room instruction but just five minutes after the restart in a rare breakaway attack St Neots conceded an unnecessary free kick and Jaye Bowen’s cross was touched on by Karnell Chambers to the far post where the unmarked Gethyn Hill tapped in from close range.   That setback seemed to dent St Neots’ confidence and they created little other than a low shot by Tom Spark pushed away at full stretch by Fletcher.   In the light of Cinderford’s apparent inability to add to their fortunate goal and in a bid to recover his sides’ composure Manager Andy Davies sent on Ryan Hawkins for the tiring Mulready and he almost delivered with his first touch a shot well saved by Fletcher.   The last 15 minutes was all St Neots again as they pounded the visiting defence but apart from two efforts by James Hall and Spark St Neots were unable to capitalize on their possession.  Then in the final minute of normal time the well-deserved three points were confirmed as following a free kick a short pass by Rogers set up man of the match Peter Clark with his fourth goal of the campaign – a suitable reward for his non-stop contribution to the victory.










St Neots:  Archer, Smith, Jonny Hall, Hyem, Ward (T), Parr, Spark, Clark, James Hall, Mulready, Rogers


Subs:  Hawkins (for Mulready 72 mins),McGeorge (for Hyem 79 mins),Hobbs, Wood and Ward (C)


Cards:  Parr (Y – 64)




Goals:  Mulready 2 (21 & 34) Clark (90)




Cinderford:  Fletcher, John, Hunt, Watkins, Hartshorne, Nelmes,Waugh, Hicks, Hill, Bowen, Chambers


Subs:  Camm(for Waugh 46mins), Hands (for Nelmes 60 mins), McConie (for Bowen 79 mins) and Burns


Cards:  Hunt (Y – 72)




Goal:  Hill (50)


Attendance: 334


Referee: Alastair Wilson (Boston)




John Walker