St Neots Town FC 0 : 1 Leamington FC
St Neots Town FC 0 : 1
Leamington FC
Saturday 22 October, 2016 15:00


Southern League Premier Division


ST NEOTS TOWN      0         LEAMINGTON       1      


The way in which the visiting players celebrated at the final whistle you would have thought they had won the league not just the three points.   St Neots had given their all with a very creditable performance against the side who started the day in second place in the table but the concession of a single goal doomed the home side to their third single goal defeat in a month.   It was particularly hard on the home defence who had held the top scorers in the league for much of the match but the single strike took Leamington to the top of the league for the first time this season.   An unchanged line up for the third consecutive time boosted St Neots confidence and they will rue missing their best chances again the tightest defence in the league that has conceded just nine goals in sixteen matches.   Leamington already look capable of retuning to Step Two football but they knew at 5.00 pm on Saturday that they had been lucky to return home with full points.


The sides took some time to settle down although Leamington were first into their stride and Taylor Parr had to produce a perfectly timed tackle to rob Courtney Baker-Richardson who was through on goal.   After 13 minutes after a smooth attack Ben Gudger and Darren Pond combined to set up Jack Edwards whose effort from 25 yards brought a flying save from Alex Archer but St Neots spiritedly replied with Micky Hyem having a volley blocked from a Declan Rogers free kick and then Tom Spark saw a shot deflected for a corner.    From the cross Taylor Parr won the ball in the air but could not keep his header down to test the keeper.   After 25 minutes an early cross by James Hall almost set up Sam Mulready but Jamie Hood lunged to concede a corner and then Declan Rogers shot fiercely just wide of the far post.   Leamington were having the better of possession but St Neots were defending well with Tom Ward and Taylor Parr dominating in the air.   After 40 minutes a surprise snap shot by Robbie Thompson-Brown beat Archer but rebounded from a post and at the other end Tony Breeden had to twice leave his area to clear as St Neots countered.


Leamington squandered a good chance three minutes after the restart when a Thompson-Brown corner set up Jack Edwards but he volleyed wildly over the bar but seventeen minutes later an attack down the left saw Ryan Rowe cut inside his marker to skillfully send a curling shot over Archer and just inside the far post for what proved to be the match winning goal.   This setback seemed to galvanize St Neots efforts and in the following couple of minutes they carved out two good chances with the industrious Peter Clark setting up Sam Mulready who seemed to have time to pick his spot but his volley was just wide and then Micky Hyem saw a well-placed volley deflected by a defender.   Leamington sent on a couple of substitutes to freshen up their attack but they failed to test Archer whilst St Neots with substitute Ryan Hawkins showing something of his former skills created chances for James Hall and Spark.   With ten minutes left St Neots took off full back Jonny Hall and regrouped with just three at the back sending on Rogan McGeorge to boost their attacking options.   In a break away attack the visitors did create a late chance for Baker-Richardson but Archer left his line to collect the ball and in time added by the Referee, St Neots almost snatched a draw when Mulready was only inches away from reaching a pinpoint Hawkins cross in front of a gaping net.   So, three more points lost but no doubt when disappointment abates Manager Andy Davies will feel that the overall performance of his team was encouraging despite losing their embryonic unbeaten two match run.










St Neots:  Archer, Smith, Jonny Hall, Hyem, Ward (T), Parr, Spark, Clark, James Hall, Mulready, Rogers


Subs:   Hawkins (for Rogers 62 mins),McGeorge (for Jonny Hall 82 mins), Ward (C), Wood and Heywood.


Cards:  Smith (Y – 87)




Goals:  none




Leamington:  Breeden, Taundry, Gudger,Pond, Hood Mace,Baker-Richardson, Edwards, Rowe, Thompson-Brown, Obeng


Subs:  Olukanmi (for Rowe 80mins), James (for Obeng 82 mins), Magunda (for Thompson-Brown 90+1 min), Quinn and George.


Cards:  Rowe (Y – 40), Taundry (Y – 82), Edwards (Y – 90)




Goals:  Rowe (65)


Attendance: 325


Referee: Nigel Smith (Bourne)




John Walker