Kings Langley 2 : 3 St Neots Town FC
Kings Langley 2 : 3
St Neots Town FC
Tuesday 25 October, 2016 19:45


Southern League Premier Division


KINGS LANGLEY       2         ST NEOTS TOWN       3      


St Neots deservedly recorded only their second away league victory of the current campaign despite very difficult circumstances against league new boys Kings Langley.    Promoted as champions of the Midland Division last season Langley are finding the going as difficult as their visitors now leading them by just two points with St Neots having a match in hand. Once again the twin strike duo of James Hall and Sam Mulready shared the St Neots goals but when the sides reappeared after half time with the scores level at 1-1 the chances of this victory were looking unlikely.   Forced into a reorganisation with two of their back four failing to return due to injury it looked possible that the patched up back four would face a testing 45 minutes.  The incident that robbed the visitors of skipper Tom Ward and Miles Smith happened a minute before the break when both were injured in separate incidents in the same Kings Langley attack.   Substitutes Tom Wood and Charlie Ward slotted into the defence and coped well against a home attack who are the top scorers in the bottom half of the league table.   For the fourth consecutive match the St Neots starting line-up was unchanged but it proved to be the opportunity to show the defensive strength of the substitutes bench.


Taylor Parr headed wide from a Declan Rogers corner in St Neots first attack whilst at the other end an unfortunate defensive deflection set up Ryan Plowright but he shot woefully wide.  Then after 11 minutes St Neots took the lead as Tom Spark won the ball in midfield and lobbed it forward for James Hall to chase.   Andrew Iwediuno beat him to the ball and attempted to guide it back to goalkeeper Danny Boness but Hall nipped in between the two players and lobbed over the keeper and in off the far post.   Sam Mulready then glanced a header wide from a long throw by Jonny Hall but the match was very evenly poised with the home side looking dangerous on the break.   When Langley did level the scores the goal came from a very slick move emanating in midfield where Chamberlain collected a clearance to find Lewis Toomey with a pinpoint pass and his shrewd flick set up one time St Neots player David Hutton for a confident low finish.   A Rogers free kick tested Boness but he managed to parry the ball away and then Ryan Hope was inches wide from a Connor Toomey free kick following the injuries to the St Neots defenders.   The two teams went to the break level at 1-1 – which was an appropriate position after a competitive 45 minutes.


Langley made a positive start after the break as the revised St Neots line up attempted to settle.   Parr had to clear off the line from Lewis Toomey after a probing cross from the left and then a Chamberlain cross was cleared at full stretch by Tom Wood.   St Neots saw Rogers send a free kick just a foot beyond the far post and then a Micky Hyem volley was also wide of its target.  In successive attacks by the visitors around the 70 minutes’ mark both the industrious Peter Clark and James Hall both had shots blocked but after 73 minutes more individual magic by James Hall put St Neots in control.   A cross by Spark was not cleared and the home keeper unwisely tried to chase the ball towards the corner flag.  He was outpaced by Hall whose volley on the turn from a remarkably tight angle found the back of the net for his second double of the season.   Langley went three in defence and sent on another striker and now the visiting defence came under some pressure.   Substitute Immanuelson Duku tested Archer from distance and then with five minutes left Taylor Parr rose above the defence to head down a Rogers corner and Sam Mulready finished off from close range to make it 3-1.   That should have settled the outcome but in the 90th minutes a Josh Chamberlain direct free kick went over Archer to reduce the arrears and give St Neots a few anxious moments of added time.  Taylor Parr’s late controversial yellow card will see him serving a third suspension this season.










St Neots:  Archer, Smith, Jonny Hall, Hyem, Ward (T), Parr, Spark, Clark, James Hall, Mulready, Rogers


Subs:   Wood (for Smith 45+1 mins),Ward (C) (for Ward (T) 46 mins), McGeorge (for Hyem 87 mins), Hobbs and Heywood.


Cards:  Jonny Hall (Y – 63), Parr (Y – 89)




Goals:  James Hall 2 (11 & 73), Mulready (85)




Kings Langley: 


Subs:  Ward (S) (for Komodikis 61 mins), Duku (for Folarin 73 mins), Waldren (for Hutton 82 mins) and Hitchcock


Cards:  Iwediuno (Y – 34), Toomey (C) (Y – 84), Toomey (L) (Y – 90+2)




Goals:  Hutton (31), Chamberlain (90)


Attendance: 88


Referee: Chris Wicks (Reading)




John Walker