Dunstable Town 1 : 0 St Neots Town FC
Dunstable Town 1 : 0
St Neots Town FC
Monday 02 January, 2017 13:00


Southern League Premier Division


DUNSTABLE TOWN       1         ST NEOTS TOWN      0  


Despite producing their best performance for several weeks, the depleted St Neots side returned from Dunstable without a point.   However, they can justifiably point to three shots cleared off the line by the home defence with their keeper beaten and a fourth effort that rebounded from the crossbar as proof that Lady Luck was not on their side in this Bank Holiday match.   Without honeymooning skipper Micky Hyem and still injured leading scorer James Hall, the visitors paraded new signing from Stamford Jevani Brown to lead their attack and had Dan Hobbs in midfield following his loan period at Soham.   Watched from the stand by newly appointed Manager Matt Clements St Neots produced a second half full of commitment and effort against a side without a league goal since 28th November but sadly just one moment of lost concentration gifted the home side with what was to prove the winning goal.  All three recent signings, Brown, Rian McLean and Sam Alderson looked very useful additions to the squad but it is against sides like Dunstable that points must be picked up if St Neots are to draw clear of the relegation zone in the coming months.   Four of their next five league matches are at the Premier Plus Stadium so an improvement in home form will be crucial to their hopes of survival.


The first half was a fairly low key affair between two sides lacking in self-confidence, each not having scored in recent matches.   Dunstable probably shaded the early stages but most of their openings came from set piece attacks with the St Neots defence having to win the ball from corners to keep their goal intact.   The first few chances went to the home side with Jack Green shooting wide following a free kick not cleared, Danny Talbot curled a free kick around a defensive wall only to see the ball hit the cross bar and from a Talbot corner Shane Bush got above the visiting defence but glanced his effort wide.    A Declan Rogers free kick was retrieved from just under the bar by home keeper Jamie Head and Sam Alderson was unlucky not to claim his first St Neots goal with a shot placed wide of the keeper but cleared off the line by Gedeon Okita.   More pressure on the St Neots defence towards the end of the half saw Kelvin Bossman shoot wide from a Zack Reynolds cross and then defender Adam Pepera up for a Talbot free kick headed wide with the goal at his mercy.   In added time at the end of the first half the impressive Jevani Brown was tripped as he weaved his way towards goal and from the resultant free kick Rogers landed the ball on the roof of the Dunstable net.


Dunstable broke the deadlock just three minutes after the break with Taylor Parr missed a clearance leaving the St Neots defence square and stranded and the lively Vences Bola strode unmarked into the penalty area to beat the advancing Alex Archer with a low shot.  At that point the pattern of the match seemed to change dramatically.   Dunstable were pushed back into defence as St Neots redoubled their efforts to get back in the game.  After 53 minutes Peter Clark had a shot cleared off the line by Pepera and three minutes later Pepera was yellow carded for tripping Brown and Rogers’ dipping free kick just skimmed the cross bar.   Charlie Day was hauled down on the edge of the penalty area as St Neots continued to press and from the resultant Rogers free kick Pepera acrobatically cleared off the line.   Another Dunstable defender was booked for desperate lunge at Alderson and then Brown showed great skill to test the keeper with a shot on the turn.   It was all St Neots now although Archer did have to be alert to save from Shane Bush as Dunstable made a rare sortie into St Neots territory.   Eight minutes from time a Brown shot returned from the crossbar and Rogers put the rebound wide as unlucky St Neots ran out of time with Dunstable doing all they could to waste precious minutes.


St Neots:  Archer, Wood, Day, McLean, Hobbs, Parr, Alderson, Clark, Brown. Rogers, L’Ghoul


Subs:   Williams, (for Wood 85 mins), Nurettin, Rudman and Coldicott-Stevens


Cards:  L’Ghoul (Y – 53)




Goals:  none




Dunstable:  Head, Reynolds, Okita,Talbot, Longe-King,Pepera, Bossman, Green (D), Bola, Bush, Green (J)




Subs:  Moussa (for Bola (73), Esso (for Bossman (83), Williams and Smith




Cards:  Pepera (Y – 56), Okita (Y – 69)




Goals:  Bola (48)




Attendance: 137


Referee: Neil Templey (Witney)




John Walker