St Neots Town FC 0 : 4 Weymouth
St Neots Town FC 0 : 4
Saturday 07 January, 2017 15:00


Southern League Premier Division


ST NEOTS TOWN      0         WEYMOUTH      4     


St Neots paraded two new signings – Manager Matt Clements and full back Harry Norman and they must both have been relieved to hear the final with Clements now knowing the extent of his task after watching his side totally outclassed by a well-organized, slick, visiting side whilst Norman was given the run-around by man of the match Jordan Copp.  


Sad St Neots, now seven straight defeats in a row, never managed a single shot on target in the entire ninety minutes so can have no complaints in defeat although they cannot be faulted for a display of honest endeavor. The new Manager was fortunate in one sense in that Weymouth looked as good a side as he will face in the remaining 19 league matches despite their lowly league position so he can use this defeat as a yardstick. He made just one team change from the side that had been unlucky not to get reward at Dunstable leaving Nassim L’Ghoul on the bench to bring Norman into a reshaped side with the inexperienced Dan Hobbs continuing in midfield for honeymooning skipper Micky Hyem.  


He employed an interesting tactical line up – a 4-2-3-1 formation but that may need reviewing in the light of the paucity of goal scoring chances.   There was another promising performance from striker Jevani Brown who received precious little service but the Manager’s main concern will be in his defence where at least two of the goals should have been cut out by tighter marking plus some very sloppy clearances from defence where a long ball approach was never going to bother the tall Weymouth defenders and underworked goalkeeper.


Before they opened the scoring, Weymouth set the alarm bells ringing with two smoothly created chances that split the St Neots brittle defence who were very relieved to be rescued on each occasion by an offside flag.  However, after 17 minutes a long cross from the right by Aaron Rodriguez caught the defence lop-sided leaving Jordan Copp to steal in unmarked to head past Alex Archer at the far post.  Although that was the extent of the first half scoring it could have been worse for the home side had Copp and Chris Shephard not spurned very scorable chances and but for three fine saves by Archer.   A screamer from 30 yards by Shephard was helped onto the crossbar and the rebound retrieved after 29 minutes and two minutes later Archer denied the same visiting player getting firmly behind a well-placed shot.   He then scrambled a Copp shot around a post after 33 minutes but was lucky when a net bound effort by Shephard was deflected into his arms when he looked to be out of position.   St Neots only two first half attacking moments saw visiting keeper Tom McHale collect a Jevani Brown through ball at the feet of Peter Clark before Declan Rogers fired hopelessly wide.




St Neots need a solid start to the second half but they seem very prone to conceding early goals after the break and this was no exception when after 65 seconds, Conor Jevon – only playing because of a warm up injury – got in front of his marker at the near post to glance in a cross from Copp.


St Neots responded by sending on substitute James Hall who had been missing through injury since December 10th and withdrawing one of their midfield players. It was a clear notice of intent to claw back the deficit and although Hall won a corner with an early touch their first real attempt on goal saw another Rogers effort fly well wide. Meantime Weymouth sent on three fresh front running substitutes in a bid to keep St Neots on the back foot and their dominance paid off twelve minutes from time when one of the subs Charlie Davis set up the hardworking Dean Evans for the visitors’ third goal.  


That was bad enough but a fourth goal in added time from another substitute, Stuart Fleetwood, took the tally of St Neots goals conceded to seventeen since they last scored themselves and thirty-seven in twelve matches since they last won on November 5th last year.


St Neots:  Archer, Norman, Day, Wood, McLean, Parr, Alderson, Hobbs, Brown, Clark, Rogers


Subs:   Hall (for Clark 61 mins), Williams (for Alderson 73 mins), Buddle, Goode and L’Ghoul.


Cards:  Parr (Y – 78)




Goals:  none




Weymouth:  McHale, Brooks, Wells, Zubar, Wannell, Evans, Copp, Allen, Rodriguez, Jevon, Shephard


Subs:  Fleetwood (for Rodriguez 58 mins), Davis (for Shephard 69 mins), Yetton (for Jevon 73 mins), Moseley and Matthews.


Cards:  Fleetwood (Y – 64)




Goals:  Copp (17 mins), Jevon (46 mins), Evans (78 mins), Fleetwood (90+2 mins)


Attendance: 296


Referee: Dean Appleby (Bourne)




John Walker