St Neots Town FC 1 : 4 Banbury United
St Neots Town FC 1 : 4
Banbury United
Tuesday 01 November, 2016 19:45


Southern League Premier Division


ST NEOTS TOWN      1         BANBURY UNITED      4      


Had St Neots won this game – their game in hand over the other teams in the bottom half of the table – they would have climbed to the dizzy heights of 15th in the table but they were left still six places below that target.   However, they must be wondering with some justification how they failed to get any reward from this match and why they were beaten by three clear goals because they dominated possession for the first half hour and again at the start of the second half.   They must face up to the fact that on this display their strikers missed too many good chances at one end and their defence at the other was far too easily breached in the face of a pacey and efficient visiting attack that gave them a lesson in finishing.   Without skipper Tom Ward again still recovering from an ankle injury and his defensive partner Taylor Parr serving his third suspension of the season, they were also without striker Sam Mulready after his injury at Bedworth at the weekend.   Even the bonus of being able to hand a Southern League debut to the exciting Frenchman Nassim L’Ghoul as a second half substitute with his International clearance now received, failed to add anything significant to the side and they must now regroup with the important Second Qualifying Round FA Trophy trip to Liverpool just ten days away.


St Neots lined up in a 4-4-2 formation with Declan Rogers up front alongside James Hall and took the lead after 11 minutes when Rogan McGeorge recalled to the side spotted visiting keeper Jack Harding ten yards off his line and launched a shot from fully 50 yards over the despairing custodian to claim his first goal of the season.   That seemed to inspire St Neots who set up a series of attacks creating chances almost at will.  Tom Spark had an angled shot blocked on the line, Jonny Hall shot just wide and then Declan Rogers should have doubled the lead when he was played clear of the defence by Spark but he shot straight at the keeper.   For Banbury Eddie Odhiambo was presented with their best chance but he shot across the face of goal and then there was a lengthy delay when Alex Archer was injured.   This seemed to lead to St Neots losing their rhythm and ten minutes before half time Tom Wood failed to get in a tackle and Zac McEachran crossed for Eddie Odhiambo to level the scores.  Matters got worse a minute into added time when from a right sided attack the St Neots defence failed to clear a cross and Jack Self gave the visitors an unlikely half time lead.


St Neots began the second half confidently and skipper Micky Hyem shot wide before James Hall played clear of the defence could only thump the ball into the grateful keeper’s chest with the goal at his mercy.  Spark saw a shot saved and McGeorge crossed for Rogers to see his shot blocked whilst the only Banbury effort saw Archer save well at the near post from Odhiambo.   The introduction of L’Ghoul meant anticipation for the home supporters but he was tightly marked and made little impact.  However, Banbury’s substitution was just inspirational as George Jeacock came on to lead the attack and in a thirteen minutes spell he had capitalized on some shoddy defending to score twice and put the match well beyond St Neots.   His first goal came as he outpaced Wood and cut in to score with a low finish and his second six minutes from time was an exhibition of anticipation as he was first to react when an Odhiambo shot rebounded from the woodwork.   St Neots toiled without reward and could have conceded a fifth goal when Luke Carnell was left unmarked at a corner but Archer got down well to save.


At the end of the game Peter Clark was presented with the October Player of the Month award by Club President John Walker.








St Neots:  Archer, Smith, Jonny Hall, Hyem, Ward (C), Wood, Clark, McGeorge, James Hall, Rogers, Spark


Subs:   L’Ghoul (for Spark 62 mins),Hobbs (for McGeorge 84 mins), Ward (T), Williams and Eldridge.


Cards:  none




Goals:  McGeorge (11)




Banbury:  Harding, Westbrook, Martin, Nash, Odhiambo, Carnell, McEachran, Self, Johnson, McDonagh, Browne


Subs:  Jeacock (for McDonagh 71mins), Bull (for Browne 73 mins), Gunn (for Martin 87 mins) and Rimmier.


Cards:  Martin (Y – 39)




Goals:  Jeacock 2 (75 & 84), Odhiambo (35), Self (45+1)


Attendance: 196


Referee: Tim Donnellan (Leighton Buzzard)




John Walker