Marine FC 1 : 1 St Neots Town FC
Marine FC 1 : 1
St Neots Town FC
Saturday 12 November, 2016 15:00


Buildbase FA Trophy First Round Qualifying


MARINE (LIVERPOOL)       1        ST NEOTS TOWN       1                                                (Replay Tuesday 7.45)


A goal in Liverpool by Tom Wood a minute from the end of normal time – only his second for the club – kept St Neots interest in the FA Trophy alive earning a Tuesday evening replay at the Premier Plus Stadium.   However, the headlines from the game will unfortunately feature on the few minutes of added time when a fracas on the half way line involving up to twenty players resulted (after a five minutes’ mid-pitch consultation by the three officials) in the issuing of no fewer than FIVE cards, three red and two yellow.   Unfortunately for St Neots both of their players involved were sent off leaving both Sam Mulready and Nassim L’Ghoul suspended for up to three matches starting next Saturday with the team’s league match away at Frome.   Bad enough, but worse to follow because both St Neots players to pick up yellow cards earlier in the match recorded their fifth cautions of the season meaning that both Jonny Hall and Rogan McGeorge will also be sidelined for the trip to Somerset.   In the long run this is also likely to result in a heavy fine from the authorities because St Neots players have now picked up six red cards this season – equal to the tally for the whole of last season.   Back to the match which was a tightly fought affair with Marine shading the first 45 minutes but St Neots responding well after the break despite the absence of two unavailable regulars Micky Hyem and Tom Spark with Rogan McGeorge and Sam Mulready back in the starting line-up.




Marine made much the better start creating two good early chances and from a Warren Bellew corner Adam Hughes was left unmarked at the far post but directed his header over the bar and then Kurt Sherlock played Michael Monaghan in on goal and skipper for the day Alex Archer had to dive bravely at his feet to save.   The keeper then under pressure did well to punch away a cross by Lewis Field but gradually St Neots came into the game with Nassim L’Ghoul firing wide and home keeper Calvin Hare doing well to field a Declan Rogers inswinging cross.   However Marine continued to enjoy the better share of possession thanks to intelligent use of playing two wide men to test the St Neots full backs with a Danny Mitchley shot passing just the wrong side of a post and James Foley heading wide when well placed.   Just before the break Rogan McGeorge picked up a booking for a rash challenge and from the free kick Mitchley just failed to get a touch in front of a gaping net.




St Neots enjoyed a greater share of play after the interval.   Jonny Hall freed Rogers on the left and his dangerous cross was cleared at the expense of a corner and Sam Mulready back after injury brought a fine save from Hare and from the resultant corner Taylor Parr won the ball well in the air but headed too high.   Then after 62 minutes and slightly against the run of play at that time Marine forged ahead as from a Sherlock cross Danny Mitchley arrived late in the area to volley past the helpless Archer.   St Neots responded well with Mulready shooting wide and Jonny Hall winning the ball in the air from a Rogers free kick but heading wide.   Archer was then called up to make two fine saves to restrict the Marine lead as he pushed a rising Mitchley shot for a corner before tipping a low Foley cross onto a post to be cleared.   With eleven minutes left St Neots sent on Charlie Ward for McGeorge pushing Tom Wood into midfield and this proved to be a key decision.   With only a minute remaining and St Neots looking for a late equalizer Declan Rogers retrieved a misplaced cross and sent the ball back into the middle for Tom Wood to smash joyfully into the net.   It was the brief period of added time that proved costly as St Neots finished with just nine men on the pitch.








St Neots:  Archer, Smith, Jonny Hall, McGeorge, Wood, Parr, L’Ghoul, Clark, James Hall, Mulready, Rogers


Subs:   Ward (C)(for McGeorge 79 mins), Ward (T), Clement-McNee, Nurettin and Williams.


Cards:  Mulready (RED – 90), L’Ghoul (RED – 90), McGeorge (Y – 43), Jonny Hall (Y – 52)




Goals:  Wood (89)




Marine:  Hare, Field, Short,Threlfall, Foley, Hughes,Monaghan, Smart. Mitchley, Sherlock, Bellew


Subs:  Lindfield (for Sherlock 82 mins),Clare, Willis, O’Hare and Porter


Cards:  Mitchley (RED – 90), Monaghan (Y – 90), Sherlock (Y – 90)




Goals:  Mitchley (62)


Attendance: 288


Referee: Daniel Hitchell (Prenton, Manchester)




John Walker