St Neots Town FC 0:4 St Ives Town FC
St Neots Town FC 0 : 4
St Ives Town FC
Tuesday 20 December, 2016 19:45


Southern League Premier Division


ST NEOTS TOWN       0         ST IVES TOWN        4    


Sad St Neots finished up managerless, goalless and clueless as well as comprehensively beaten by neighbors St Ives.   Managerless because of the resignation of Andy Davies that gave Assistant Manager Lee Clarke and Coach Dan Gleeson just 24 hours to prepare for this important match; goalless for the second successive game – the first time that has happened for almost two years; and clueless as to how to cope with a visiting side brimming full with confidence and ideas.    St Ives, now seven games without defeat ran up a 3-0 lead by half time and then having added a fourth early in the second half they were able to coast to victory almost without breaking further sweat.   Forced into a late team change when Taylor Parr reported in sick the home side had to draft Gleeson into defence with Tom Wood returning for James Goode.   St Ives completed a predictable league double to move into the top half of the league table now a massive eleven points ahead of their hosts.   St Neots will take their time to appoint a new permanent boss but he faces a difficult task to reinstate some confidence and belief into the side before trying to lift them out of the relegation zone with less than half the season left.


Both sides started cautiously with Nassim L’Ghoul seeing a shot tipped over the bar by Tim Trebes but the visitors almost got an early breakthrough when a shot from Jack Bradshaw following a corner was blocked on the goal line.   It was quickly apparent that St Ives were the more confident side with some slick movement and passing leaving St Neots chasing shadows.   The first goal duly arrived after 18 minutes when a Jack Higgs free kick sailed over the defence for Jack Bradshaw to win unchallenged at the far post.   His header beat Alex Archer but rebounded off the crossbar and Liam McDevitt pounced to hammed a low shot into the net.   Three minutes later a clumsy Jonnie Hall challenge presented the visitors with a free kick just outside the box but Bradshaw’s effort was too high.  Then after 28 minutes St Ives doubled their lead when from a Ben Seymour-Shove cross Danny Kelly got in front of his marker to glance a header across Archer and inside the far post.   St Ives deserved their lead because they were making the most of their possession with St Neots very wasteful with their passing and general ball control.   When they did create attacking moves St Neots’ finishing was poor with Peter Clark shooting wide after good work by Declan Rogers and Sam Mulready heading wide from a Rogers corner,   Five minutes before the break the goal of the match effectively ended the contest as Ben Seymour-Shove cut in from the right to unleash a perfectly placed shot from 30 yards that went in off the far post.


St Neots have developed an unfortunate habit of conceding an early second half goal and this match was no exception for after 50 minutes a misplaced clearance by Hall only found former St Neots placer Josh Dawkin and skipped past the last defender to finish well.   St Ives seemed to relax after their fourth goal and St Neots began to create more chances.   Mulready headed over the bar, Charlie Day was well off target and Tom Wood brought a good save from Trebes but the visitors defence looked impregnable with Liam McDevitt and Lee Chaffey in commanding form giving St Neots no time to settle on the ball.   Trebes did have to save well from Rogers after66 minutes at the expense of a corner but St Neots ability to take advantage of set pieces was not as apparent as they had been in recent matches.   St Ives substitute Morgan Penfold missed a glorious chance to extend the lead from a Dubi Ogbonna cross but most of the goalmouth action was at the opposite end.  Trebes produced the save of the match to keep out a Rogers volley, Mulready saw his shot blocked and substitute Andre Williams also tested the visiting goalkeeper.   In a rare breakaway attack a Jack Higgs shot rebounded from the crossbar and St Neots were denied a late consolation goal as Trebes pounded on an overhead effort by Mulready.


St Neots:  Archer, Wood, Jonny Hall, Hyem, Ward, Gleeson, Rogers, Clark, L’Ghoul, Mulready, Day


Subs:   Williams(for Gleeson 60 mins), Coldicott-Stevens (for Hall 75 mins), Buddle and Clement-McNee


Cards:  none




Goals:  none




St Ives:  Trebes, Bradshaw, Jarrold, Chaffey, McDevitt, Higgs, Dawkin, McGowan, Kelly, Ogbonna, Seymour-Shove


Subs:  Penfold (for Kelly 67 mins), Cunniff (for Dawkin 75 mins), Coulson (for Seymour-Shove 82 mins), O’Malley and Moyes.


Cards:  none




Goals:  McDevitt (18), Kelly (28), Seymour-Shove (40) Dawkin (50)




Attendance: 357


Referee: Christopher Francis (Ely)




John Walker