St Neots Town FC 1 : 1 Cirencester Town
St Neots Town FC 1 : 1
Cirencester Town
Tuesday 06 December, 2016 19:45


Southern League Premier Division


ST NEOTS TOWN      1         CIRENCESTER TOWN      1     


After the horror show on Saturday St Neots produced a considerably improved performance against Cirencester but failed to convert their superior possession into goals.  With man of the match Tom Wood and Miles Smith both back in a bolstered defence after completing their suspensions it was Andre Williams and the unavailable Chevron McLean that gave way resulting in a more confident and rounded approach against a side just one point and one place ahead of them although St Neots still have three matches in hand.   Each had won on the others’ ground last season with Cirencester stealing all three points from their last visit with a late second half goal.   This time St Neots never looked likely to lose with the visitors restricted to breakaway attacks as St Neots created three reasonable chances to each one for the visitors.   Some of the chances should have been converted but the visitors goal led a charmed life with several chances either cleared off the line or blocked.   However, with St Neots not having won a home league match since 15th October they must put a winning sequence in place if they are not to get too far adrift from safety.




The visitors arrived very late after motorway hold-ups and so the start was delayed around 15 minutes.   Clearly Cirencester were not affected by their hasty preparation and found themselves in front after just three minutes – the second successive time that St Neots have shipped an early goal.    This time it was a clear goalkeeping mis-judgement as Alex Archer trying to gather a cross-cum shot from the left at his near post could only push the ball up in the air for it to land in the net at the far post via the inside of a post.   To their credit, St Neots were not unduly derailed by this setback and they hit back with the lively Declan Rogers forcing a full length save from Rajaan Gill after some unselfish player by his strike partner James Hall.  Cirencester broke for Dan Demkiv to get behind the St Neots defence but Archer saved with his feet and it was St Neots who were in the ascendancy and after 17 minutes’ defender Jonny Hall sent in a long cross from the left that was converted by brother James who had got in front of his marker.   Rogan McGeorge then linked with Rogers to see his shot blocked and after clever play by Peter Clark, Rogers brought a fine save from Gill.   The keeper then made a full-length fingertip save from the same St Neots player and at that stage a second home goal looked inevitable.   However, the visitors held out until the break looking happy to hear the half time whistle.




Upon the re-start, Clark was brought down in full flight towards goal earning a booking for the visiting defender and Cirencester then introduced a couple of substitutes to freshen up their side.   St Neots plugged away without really testing Gill and they could not be faulted for effort but they were predictable in their attacking play and the Cirencester defence seemed able to cope.   McGeorge looked to be struggling so Manager Andy Davies sent on Dan Gleeson pushing Tom Wood into midfield.   St Neots created a couple of late chances in the final ten minutes but Taylor Parr’s low shot was blocked on the line and after clever interplay with Charlie Day, Jonny Hall went clear but saw his shot deflected for a corner.   The visitors’ last attack gave home supporters an anxious moment but Taylor Parr produced an important saving tackle as both sides saved face with appoint apiece.
















St Neots:  Archer, Smith, Jonny Hall, Hyem, Wood, Parr, Clark, McGeorge, James Hall, Rogers, Day


Subs:   Gleeson (for McGeorge 72 mins), Nurettin, Eldridge, Clement-McNee and Coldicott-Stevens.


Cards:  none




Goals:  James Hall (17)




Cirencester:  Gill, Diaz-Bentez, Scheving, Challis, Brown, Liddiard, Mortimer-Jones, Connolly, Griffin, Demkiv, Hancox


Subs:  Spalding (for Challis 63 mins), Bennett (for Hancox 70 mins), Lloyd, James and Youngsam.


Cards:  Brown (Y – 48)




Goals:  Liddiard (3)




Attendance: 97


Referee: Wayne Porter (Bourne)




John Walker