Aylesbury FC 3:2 St Neots Town FC
LCC Round Two
Aylesbury FC 3 : 2
St Neots Town FC
Tuesday 13 December, 2016 19:45


League Challenge Trophy Round Two


AYLESBURY       3         ST NEOTS TOWN      2


There must have been some relief that this tie was completed at the fourth time of asking but feeble St Neots bowed out of the League Challenge Trophy with a display that was probably their worst of the season against lower graded opposition.   With only one win in their last nine games their form is now almost a carbon copy of that at this time last season that led to the departure of then Manager David Batch.   The side seems to be devoid of confidence and ideas and their lack of composure when in possession is an alarming feature that has become apparent in recent games.   Injury and unavailability once again restricted selection options but this should not be seen as an excuse for effort and performance.   Leading scorer James Hall who had limped off in the previous match was out injured and two further regulars – recently signed Charlie Day and Miles Smith subject of a recent transfer approach were unavailable for selection.   Into the starting line-up came Chevron McLean, Nassim L’Ghoul and a less than fully fit Dan Gleeson but significantly there was a complete lack of experience on the substitutes bench with none of the players having yet appeared for the side.   Aylesbury took close to whole first half to get going but then displayed a desire and team spirit that St Neots would do well to adopt.


After a slow start with St Neots totally dominating possession they made the first significant breakthrough on ten minutes when Jonny Hall pushed forward in an unfamiliar wide midfield role provided the cross from which skipper Micky Hyem crashed home his first goal of the season.   The visitors tried to push on against poor opponents and home keeper Kyle Forster saved well from Sam Mulready and Peter Clark but they should have capitalized to a greater extent with Aylesbury barely getting within shooting distance of the St Neots goal.   After 23 minutes the home side did stage a breakaway attack forcing Alex Archer to leave his line and smother at the feet of Ty Deacon but as the forward tumbled Aylesbury appealed for a penalty but this only resulted in the forward being yellow carded for simulation.   Too many promising St Neots openings were halted by the offside flag although Declan Rogers tested the keeper with a free kick and Mulready went clear only to be denied by the tightness of his angle.   A rare Aylesbury opportunity saw Josh Bamford shoot wide but against the run of play the home side levelled after 44 minutes when Archer blocked at the feet of Bamford only for the ball to rebound to Ty Deacon who scored from close range.   However, with in sixty second St Neots had regained the lead when a long clearance was collected by Declan Rogers who accelerated past his marker to net from 25 yards with a confident finish.


Just eight minutes after the break before St Neots could build on their slender advantage they were pulled back level again as Dan McAteer floated in a free kick and Ben Stevens got in front of his marker to head home at the near post – and worse was to follow because four minutes later the home side took advantage of some sloppy marking allowing Josh Bamford to claim Aylesbury’s third goal after 57 minutes.   With half an hour remaining there should have been ample time for St Neots to regroup and recover but there was little sign of this.  Nassim L’Ghoul twice sent in crosses to provide the chances but a Rogers shot was deflected for a corner and Mulready shot tamely straight at Forster.   Two shots were scrambled off the line and a late St Neots rally saw a Rogers free kick saved and a Clark effort pass just the wrong side of the far post.   Finally, Aylesbury could have increased the embarrassment as the unmarked Deacon found himself clear on goal but Archer saved at full stretch.   Improvement is required for St Neots – but quickly.




St Neots:  Archer, Wood, McLean, Hyem, Gleeson, Parr, Clark (P), L’Ghoul, Mulready, Rogers, Jonny Hall


Subs:  Buddle, Maynard and Clement-McNee (none used)


Cards:  none




Goals:  Hyem (10), Rogers (45)




Aylesbury:  Forster, Fitzgerald, Emsden, Stevens, Jenkins (J),McAteer, Baigent, Tomlin, Bamford, O’Brien, Deacon


Subs:  Carty (for O’Brien 59 mins), Gordon (for Stevens 67 mins), Rusbridger (for McAteer 78 mins), West and Jenkins (A).


Cards:  Deacon (Y – 33)




Goals:  Deacon (44), Stevens (53), Bamford (57)


Attendance: 50


Referee: Michael Smith (West Drayton)




John Walker