St Neots Town FC 4 : 2 Weymouth
SLP 03
St Neots Town FC 4 : 2
Saturday 25 August, 2012 15:00

Evo-Stik Southern League Premier Division


ST NEOTS TOWN       4     WEYMOUTH     2


St Neots Town’s two midweek signings Ollie Thorne (from Bedford) and Jay Davies (a loanee from Woking) went straight into the side in central midfield and were a significant influence as St Neots picked up their first Premier Division points.    The newcomers replaced Charlie Dove who was injured and Callum Stewart who started on the bench but from the start St Neots looked far more positive and convincing against a not very impressive visiting side.   Whereas chances on Tuesday had gone begging this was a far more positive St Neots and only a late goal from a harshly awarded penalty took some of the shine off the victory.

With both sides still searching for their first victory of the season both started cautiously and there was little early goalmouth action but after 11 minutes home nerves were settled with a fine goal as Lewis Hilliard sent an early pass inside the full back to pick out Dan Jacob on the far post and with the angle tight he unselfishly picked out Ban Mackey who tapped in at the opposite post.   The only Weymouth response was a snap shot by Gary Duff that rebounded off angle of post and bar to be cleared.   After 23 minutes Jordan Gent headed wide but a minute later St Neots doubled their advantage as new boy Jay Davies split the Weymouth defence for Stefan Moore to beat the thinly disguised offside trap to race clear and beat the advancing goalkeeper.   St Neots only once more looked defensively vulnerable in the first half and that was when Arthur Lee slipped to let in Ben Joyce but Declan Rogers got back to clear.   Two more efforts for St Neots leading up to half time saw Davies bring a good save from Simon Evans and Ben Mackey shoot into the side netting from a tight angle.

Six minutes after the restart St Neots really assumed control.   After Evans had produced the save of the match to deny Mackey a second goal a move down the left saw Lewis Hilliard cross to the far post where central defender Arthur Lee rose above the packed defence to head St Neots third goal.   Weymouth tried to respond positively sending on two strikers Mark Ford and Matt Groves and resorting to the three man attack.   With Stefan Moore off injured and Edward Adjei substituting the Weymouth reshape bore fruit as a long clearance skimmed off a defenders head and substitute Mark Ford showed good pace to advance and beat Michael Duggan.   However St Neots quickly took advantage of the thinned out defence as Dan Jacob found Ollie Thorne unmarked in the centre of the field and his shrewd through pass played Lewis Hilliard free to reinstate St Neots three goals advantage.   St Neots also gave a first competitive outing to former Glasgow Ranger Jack Werndly and they visibly eased up towards the end only to concede a harsh penalty kick when Jordan Gent was judged to have impeded Ford.   Visiting skipped Scott Walker tucked away the spot kick despite Michael Duggan getting both hands to the firmly hit shot.



St Neots: Duggan, Duncliffe, Rogers, Thorne, Gent, Lee, Hilliard, Davies, Moore, Mackey, Jacob.

Subs:  Adjei (for Moore 59 mins), Stewart (for Davies 73 mins), Werndly (for Hilliard 77 mins, Felix & Manangu.

Cards: none


Weymouth: Evans, McConnell, Jeannin, Read, Critchell, Poole, Duff, Clay, Joyce, Smith, Walker.

Subs: Ford (for Jeannin 59 mins), Groves (for Joyce 59 mins), Clarke (for Read 78 mins), Dixon & Povall.

Cards: none


Referee: John Steel


Attendance:  251


John Walker