St Neots Town FC 0 : 1 Cambridge United
Pre Season Schedule
St Neots Town FC 0 : 1
Cambridge United
Saturday 08 July, 2017 15:00

Pre-season friendly


ST NEOTS TOWN         0        CAMBRIDGE UNITED      1    

A bumper crowd of 692 sunned themselves at the Premier Plus Stadium on the opening day of the season and were rewarded with an entertaining and competitive match.   Pre-season friendly matches are all about performances and not results and both Managers must have been delighted with the performance of their respective sides.   Both teams fielded squads with the visitors fielding an entirely different line up after the break and the home side making eight changes.   St Neots initial line up included just two players who had started their final league game last season although two others who started this game had been on the bench against United’s neighbors, Cambridge City.   So local followers were given the opportunity to run the rule over Matt Clements’ new signings as well as several trialists yet to be confirmed as squad members.   They were delighted to see last season’s leading scorer Jevani Brown back in action and he showed he had lost none of his pace and sharpness.  He was joined up front by Andre Olakami and Danny Watson and this trio look capable of producing goals.   Along with Brown the trio of skipper Micky Hyem, Johnny Herd and Taylor Parr made up the tally of survivors from last season in the starting line-up.


The first half saw both sides start quickly with play moving from end to end.  The first chance for he visitors was an eighth minute free kick that was blocked by the defensive wall and St Neots replied with Claudio Dias setting Danny Watson free but visiting keeper Mitov blocked his effort.   Making his St Neots debut at the other end keeper Mike Emery thwarted one visiting effort with a smart header just outside his box but he was relieved when an Amoo free header passed just the wrong side of a post.   The best first half chance fell to St Neots when Andre Olakami sent a glancing header just wide five minutes before the break.


In the second half the relentless heat appeared to be having an effect and the pace of the match slowed with Lewis Wilson bringing a smart save from Norris and Harry O‘Malley shooting wide but gradually Cambridge began to get on top with overall fitness probably a factor.   On 70 minutes’ the best move of the match ended with Berry providing an acrobatic header to test Martin Conway who had to be as agile to make the save.   St Neots then broke clear and Jevani Brown saw an effort rebound from the woodwork but the visitors pressure was beginning to tell and the woodwork at the other end saved St Neots from a Berry header.   However, as the match moved into added time a fierce Brad Halliday shot through a packed area was mishandled by Martin Conway and Jabo Ibehre pounced to net from close range.


St Neots:  Emery, Sinclair, Herd, Horne, Parr, McDevitt, Olakami, Hyem, Watson, Dias, Brown

Subs:  Conway, Bradshaw,Wood, Ferrell, O’Malley, Norman, Rogers, Wilson


Cambridge:  (1st Half) Mitov, Davies, Legge, Coulson, Dunk, O’Neill, Osabede, Lewis, Amoo, McGurk, Elito

(2nd Half)  Norris, Halliday, Roberts, Darling Taylor, Mingoia, Deegan, Patton, Maris, Berry, Ibehre

Sub:  Foy


Attendance: 692

Referee: Neil Hair (Peterborough)



John Walker