St Neots Town FC 1 : 3 Harlow|Town
Pre Season Schedule
St Neots Town FC 1 : 3
Saturday 22 July, 2017 15:00

Pre-season friendly


ST NEOTS TOWN       1      HARLOW TOWN      3


Forced to rest three signed players who had picked up minor injuries in the already completed pre-season friendly matches, St Neots were able to welcome for the first-time new signing Harry O’Malley, a full back who started on the substitutes bench.   In their fourth pre-season outing they hosted Isthmian League Premier Division side Harlow Town who have just completed their first season at Step Three finishing a creditable tenth at that level.   The match was played in constant rain but the two sides produced some attractive football with both defenses looking largely sound.   The first half produced a goal apiece – both from set pieces – but two goals in a six minutes spell early in the second half deservedly sealed the victory for the visitors.  


St Neots made the early running with Lewis Wilson seeing a shot blocked by Stan Magou and Johnny herd bringing a good low save from David Hughes after a slick move involving Scott Sinclair and Dylan Williams.   Wilson then saw a second shot blocked but after taking some time to settle Harlow came into the match with Charlie Dickens shooting narrowly wide.   A shrewd volley by Scott Sinclair almost caught Hughes off his line but he scrambled back to clear and then at the other end Xavier Vidal saw his shot blocked.   Guest St Neots keeper Dom Ruggerio did well to save a low effort by Jared Small and on the half hour St Neots sent on all three substitutes.   After 38 minutes Harlow went ahead when a Vidal corner was headed down by James Baker and Reece Dobson turned smartly in the area to fire home.  However, the lead only lasted for five minutes and then from a cleverly placed free kick to the near post by Dylan Williams, Liam McDevitt moved to the near post to flick the ball wide of the keeper for his second goal in pre-season.    That rounded off an even first half with both sides giving as good as they had received.


Harlow looked the better side in the early second half exchanges.   Daniel Cornwall fired over the bar after some slack defensive marking and after 55 minutes the visitors were in front when Vidal showed skill on the bye line to cross and Junior Dadson rose high above his defensive marker to beat Ruggerio with a powerful header.   St Neots tried to rally with Williams prominent on the flanks but struggled to create openings and six minutes after retaking the lead Harlow were 3-1 ahead when McDevitt tripped Dobson in the penalty area and the striker got to his feet to score his second goal of the match with a low finish just inside a post.   That second setback seemed to inspire St Neots who sent on the three players from the bench and they began to flourish.   Hughes produced a good save to deny Wilson who has not had the best of luck in front of goal, and a free kick on the edge of the Harlow penalty area was blocked by the defensive wall.  Harlow tried to slow the pace of the game introducing three substitutes and they almost snatched a fourth goal when substitute Tommy Fagg tried a 35 yards effort that beat Ruggerio but rebounded from the cross bar to be cleared.  St Neots then ended the game in positive mood with Lee Clarke setting up Sinclair who was clear of the defence but he shot wildly over the bar and Luke Knight picking up a poor clearance but his effort passed the wrong side of the far post.   Back from his brief holiday break and despite the defeat Manager Matt Clements will have been able to make more judgements about the players who he has yet to sign on Southern League forms.







St Neots:  Ruggerio, Bradshaw, Herd, Knight, McDevitt, Wood, Sinclair, Hyem, Diaz, Wilson, Williams


Subs:  Rogers, Clarke and O’Malley


Harlow:    Hughes, Shepherd, Dickens,Magou, Baker, Cornwall, Small, Gordon, Dobson, Vidal, Dadson.


Subs:  Fagg, Andrews, Martin and Lee.


Attendance: 179


Referee: Jon Burridge (Godmanchester)





John Walker