St Neots Town FC 5 : 0 Dorchester Town
St Neots Town FC 5 : 0
Dorchester Town
Saturday 09 September, 2017 15:00

Southern League Premier Division     

ST NEOTS TOWN        5         DORCHESTER TOWN      0          

Without a league or cup victory in their first six outings this season the St Neots players had been warned by Manager Matt Clements to expect significant changes in personnel unless their performances and results improved significantly and their response was extremely positive, delivering the first clean sheet of the season, their first win, and the sides’ first Southern League victory by five or more goals since December 2013.   Visitors’ Dorchester have had a similar start to their season making this a ‘must win’ game for both.   St Neots quest was aided by having to play against ten men in the second half after Ollie Griggs had picked up a straight red card for a reckless challenge and in that second 45 minutes there was only one team in it.   Even second half injuries to both St Neots central defenders Liam McDevitt and the August Player of the Month Taylor Parr could not take the gilt off the performance and result and the points lifted St Neots out of the bottom four places in the table up to seventeenth.   Again, there were several team and tactical changes with Peterborough United youth loanee goalkeeper coming into the side for the injured Mike Emery, and Tom Wood, Micky Hyem and Lee Clarke on the substitutes bench replaced by Johnny Herd, Dylan Williams and Kyron Wiltshire.  

Understandably both sides were reluctant to give much away in the early stages although St Neots produced the perfect start when from a Ryan Horne cross to the far post, full back Johnny Herd arrived in the penalty area to score only his second St Neots goal.   The visitors created little although Luke Winsper shot wide and from a Dom Panesar cross Gary Bowles headed their best chance over the bar.   In a quick break St Neots were caught square at the back and a snap shot by Billy Lowes rebounded from a post but St Neots were creating their own openings with a shot from the lively Horne rebounding from the keepers’ body and Taylor Parr heading wide from a Dylan Williams free kick.   The first real test for Josh Tibbetts was when he had to rush from his line to rob Jordan Storey and then just before the break there was the sending off that proved to be a game-changer.   Prior to that the Referee had booked two visiting players for fouls but the reckless challenge by Ollie Griggs resulted in his instant dismissal.  

Another flare up early in the second half saw Jordan Storey and Scott Sinclair both booked but thankfully after that the match settled down with St Neots dictating.   Visiting keeper Chris Weale did well to keep out an effort by Herd and as St Neots superior possession gradually told, trickery by Dion Sembie-Ferris after 65 minutes gave him the space to test Weale who could only parry his effort into the path of Scott Sinclair who tapped home.   Within two minutes it was 3-0 as a long throw by Herd was headed on by Parr and Dion Sembie-Ferris stole in at the far post for his second St Neots goal in five matches.  Now all Dorchester could do was hang on to try to salvage pride but the tide was relentless and after 73 minutes Dylan Williams turned in the penalty area to lob a well-placed shot beyond the reach of Weale.   Kyle Egan cleared off the line from Williams with his keeper beaten and then after 79 minutes the speedy Williams was hauled down in the penalty area by Ross Carmichael and he got to his feet to beat Weale from the penalty spot to complete the 5-0 victory.   Both sides utilized their maximum allocation of three substitutes with St Neots finishing up with substitute Tom Wood and full back Jack Bradshaw at the heart of a defence that never looked likely to yield their clean sheet.   It was St Neots’ fourth consecutive home victory over Dorchester in which they have scored 15 goals.


St Neots:  Tibbetts, Bradshaw, Herd, Knight, McDevitt, Parr, Sinclair, Wiltshire, Sembie-Ferris, Horne, Williams (D)

Subs:  Wood (for McDevitt 63), O’Malley (for Parr 70), Watson (for Sinclair 74), Hyem and Clarke (L).

Cards:  Sinclair (Y – 53 mins), Wiltshire (Y – 84 mins)


Goals: Williams 2 (73 & 79 mins), Herd (9 mins), Sinclair (65 mins), Sembie-Ferris (67 mins)


Dorchester:  Weale, Egan, Clarke (C), Bowles, Carmichael, Winsper, Panesar, Lowes, Storey, Jerrard, Griggs


Subs:  Corbridge (for Panesar 61 mins),Ayunga (for Jerrard 74 mins), Blair (for Lowes 82 mins) and Bastick.


Cards:   Griggs (RED – 45 mins), Winsper (Y – 29 mins), Lowes (Y – 37 mins), Storey (Y – 53 mins)


Goals:   none

Attendance: 178

Referee:  Andrew Humphries (Daventry)



John Walker