St Neots Town U18 8:1 Newmarket Town U18
St Neots Town U18 8 : 1
Newmarket Town U18
Monday 21 August, 2017 19:45


ST NEOTS TOWN U18       8       NEWMARKET TOWN U18       1

St Neots U18 Scholars opened the defence of their Cambridge Division title by thumping last seasons’ fourth placed side – the only team with a better goal difference than the Saints last time around.  Each season introduces a new crop of players at this age group but St Neots policy of including younger players in their squad each season has the benefit of continuity because no fewer than five of their starting team had featured in a starting line-up last season.  In fact, striker Andre Williams had played in all but three games in the 2016/17 title winning side and another survivor Kieran Waites was the star of this victory contributing four of St Neots’ goals.

Although St Neots looked the better side from the start the visitors’ defended very well in the opening phase of the match.   Aaron Hiscock had an early chance blocked by the feet of the visiting goalkeeper but much of the better openings saw off-target finishing with efforts from Callan Irvine, Hiscock and an Andre Williams free kick either high or wide.   The visitors made few openings but after 17 minutes from a Toby Peters free kick, Lewis Kent lost his marker to head over the bar.  The deadlock was broken after 22 minutes when from a Williams cross Kieran Waites timed his run to perfection to claim the opening goal and two minutes later the same combination doubled the score, Waites showing pace to add to his personal tally.  After 31 minutes, a Waites hat trick was only avoided as visiting keeper Konrad Mil produced a full length save but the pressure continued and after 37 minutes Waites celebrated his hat trick outwitting William James to slot past the keeper.   Andre Williams had been a first half scourge on the visiting defence and he scored a fourth goal three minutes before the break.

Waites then made it 5-0 in the opening minute after the break with Williams once again the provider but five minutes later a clumsy challenge by Joe Brooks on Joe Horncastle conceded a penalty for the visitors and Horncastle himself converted.   Then after 56 minutes the Williams/Waites combination set up the sixth St Neots goal for the hardworking Callan Irvine and although Luke Gray hit the foot of a post for the visitors from a corner by Horncastle, the St Neots keeper George Bugg was largely a spectator.   When Mil spilled a Williams corner after 71 minutes Alfie Donkin scored the seventh goal from close range and appropriately Williams wrapped up this convincing opening victory with his second and the eighth goal ten minutes from time.

St Neots:  Bugg, Chambers, Brooks, Donkin, Dunnett, Fulianty, Williams, Irvine, Waites, Routs, Hiscock                                                                                                

Subs used:  Goodridge, Ford and Rider.

Referee:  Paul Attfield                                                          


John Walker