Cambridge City 0 : 5 St Neots Town FC
SLP 04
Cambridge City 0 : 5
St Neots Town FC
Monday 27 August, 2012 15:00

Evo-Stik Southern League Premier Division


CAMBRIDGE CITY      0      ST NEOTS TOWN       5


If St Neots had any inhibitions about competing at the higher level they were completely shaken off as they went nap at Cambridge City to record their best ever away victory in the Southern League.   Playing their trademark slick passing game they outplayed their hosts and scored some impressive goals with Ben Mackey claiming their first ever Premier Division hat trick.   Cambridge were not assisted by losing a defender to a red card five minutes before the break and two other players (one from each side) picked up two yellow cards to follow him in for an early bath.  After two narrow defeats St Neots have now redressed the balance with nine goals and six points over the Bank Holiday weekend and they can now go forward with confidence.

There was a sensational start for with just 26 seconds played St Neots were ahead.   Jon-Paul Duncliffe broke up the first Cambridge attack and caught the home defence square and timing his run to perfection Stefan Moore advanced to lob the unfortunate Enol Ordonez.   At the other end Michael Duggan made a smart save pushing away a James Brighton free kick after six minutes and three minutes later St Neots doubled their lead.   Another fine pass this time from Ollie Thorne picked out  Ben Mackey and his clinical finish gave Ordonez no chance.   Now St Neots were looking confident and created two more good chances – Hilliard bringing a good save from the keeper and Jordan Gent heading narrowly wide from a Hilliard corner.   The home side were beginning to get frustrated and Jack Dekanski was booked but after 23 minutes but inn the following ten minutes home striker Mitchell Bryant had two opportunities to oull back a goal.   He first shot across the face of goal from a narrow angle and then headed wide from a Robbie Nightingale cross.   Nine minutes before the break Mackey lobbed narrowly over the bar and four minutes later Cambridge were reduced to ten men when Lee Chaffey was beaten for speed and he pulled down Stefan Moore.   The defender was issued with a straight red card and Ben Mackey taking over the spot kick duties made it 3-0 to send St Neots to their half time break well in control.

Eight minutes after the restart St Neots effectively ended the contest with a slick fourth goal as Hilliard split the home defence once more and this time Dab Jacob ran through to beat the keeper.  Cambridge tried to respond positively sending on two attacking players to try to take the game to the visitors and for a few minutes they looked to be succeeding.   However 71 minutes they were caught short at the back and when Ordonez spilled a cross from Dan Jacob it was Ben Mackey who reacted first to force the ball home from close range to complete his third hat trick in a St Neots shirt.   With the game over it began to get very untidy and in a ten minutes spell before the final whistle the Referee Nigel Smith issued six yellow cards (three apiece) for niggling infringements two of which were second issue for Declan Rogers (St Neots) and Jack Dekanski (Cambridge) and both were sent off.   It was a disappointing end to an entertaining match bossed most of the time by the visiting side.


St Neots: Duggan, Duncliffe, Rogers, Thorne, Gent, Lee, Hilliard, Davies, Moore, Mackey, Jacob.

Subs:  Felix (for Hilliard 66 mins), Adjei (for Jacob 71 mins), Manangu (for Mackey 79 mins), Stewart & Werndly.

Cards: Rogers (R – 2 Y 76 & 82), Davies (Y 78)


Cambridge City: Ordonez, Bexfield, Chaffey, Dekanski, Theobald, Nightingale, Allen, Prada, Hammond, Bryant, Brighton.

Subs: Cambridge (for Nightingale 59 mins), Patrick (for Prada 59 mins), Midgley (for Bryant 66 mins), Lester and Seymour-Shove.

Cards: Chaffey (R 40), Dekanski (R – 2 Y 23 & 85), Cambridge (Y 74), Hammond (Y 79).



Referee: Nigel Smith


Attendance:  514


John Walker