St Neots Town U18 7:1 Saffron Walden Community Youth
St Neots Town U18 7 : 1
Saffron Walden Community Youth
Monday 25 September, 2017 19:45




ST NEOTS TOWN U18       7       SAFFRON WALDEN TOWN U18       1


After two successive defeats in The FA Youth Cup and the league, St Neots bounced back with a dazzling second half performance to crush Saffron Walden who had arrived at the Premier Plus Stadium with a 100% record this season.   The strength of the home squad was highlighted as the starting line-up featured two players not previously involved this season as theside took their league tally of goals to 23 in four outings.


The first half was evenly contested although a second minute free kick from Andre Williams was fumbled by visiting keeper Joshua Bates before being cleared.   The keepers’ woes were to continue because twelve minutes later St Neots skipper Alfie Donkin hit a shot from fully 35 yards that Bates misjudged and the ball flew off his body into the net to give the home side the lead.  Walden looked a positive side and they were rewarded after 23 minutes when Ronnie Ledwith cut in from the left to send a shot over home keeper Michael McCormack to level the scores.   St Neots settled to dominate the first half chances with Leon Fulianty heading wide from an Aaron Hiscock corner and Bates saving well from Callan Irvine.   Then four minutes before the break the lively Williams first forced a save from Bates and followed up with a second that was only parried and Brandon Hedge followed in to claim his first goal at this level.


The 2-1 half time lead did not look secure but two more goals in a three minutes spell around the hour cemented St Neots’ domination.   Aaron Hiscock claimed the first from an Andre Williams free kick and went on to add the second from a Joseph Rider corner that was not cleared.    Substitute Conor Sims should have reduced the arrears from a Ledwith corner but his header was straight at the keeper and in the final twenty minutes St Neots ran riot with three of their substitutes adding their names to the scorers list.  After 73 minutes Harry Clark set up George Holman to make the score 5-1 and then with three minutes remaining Jack Baker scythed through the defence to score and Joseph Rider completed the rout in added time after Clark’s shot had been parried.




St Neots:  McCormack, Chambers, Brooks, Donkin, Southeran, Fulianty, Williams, Irvine, Hedge, Routs, Hiscock                                                                                                                                     Subs used:  Goodridge, Baker, Clark, Holman and Rider.


Referee:  Martin Godfrey                                                          


John Walker