St Neots Town U18 7:0 Histon U18
St Neots Town U18 7 : 0
Histon U18
Monday 04 December, 2017 19:45




ST NEOTS TOWN U18       7      HISTON U18       0


St Neots scored seven goals or more in a league match for the fourth time this season as they easily defeated bottom of the table Histon, who have yet to win this season.  Much of the attacking play was in one direction but the visitors produced a plucky display and only the woodwork and a workmanlike performance by home goalkeeper George Bugg meant they went home without even a consolation goal.   St Neots victory was based on some superb wing play by man-of-the-match Aaron Hiscock and Andre Williams who made the life of the visiting defence very traumatic.   The three points moved St Neots to within a single point of league leaders Godmanchester.


After just ninety seconds of the start St Neots set out their intentions as Andre Williams left his marker in his wake to cross for the unmarked Kieran Waites to head past visiting keeper Daniel Wiseman.   Five minutes later the second goal came from the opposite flank as Aaron Hiscock won his way to the bye line to pull the ball back for Williams to add his name to the score sheet.   Waites then shot across the face of goal and Williams shot narrowly over the bar and after 18 minutes it was 3-0 when Williams claimed his second goal of the match with a neat finish from another Hiscock cross.   However, Histon were not to be completely overrun and after 22 minutes George Bugg in the St Neots goal had to make two very smart saves to keep his goal intact, first turning a rising Joseph Fairbrother shot over the bar and from the resultant corner tipping a Liam Townsend header over the top.   Rhys O’Callaghan was then played clear of the St Neots defence but dallied and saw his shot deflected for another corner from which Reece Rayner had a header well saved by Bugg.   At the other end Wiseman denied Williams his hat trick with a fine save and before the break Waites shot wide when well placed after clever work by Sam Routs.


St Neots began the second half strongly and after 49 minutes a long cross by Nehemiah Goodridge was turned into his own net by the unfortunate Wiseman.   Six minutes later it was 5-0 when the lively Hiscock again beat the keeper to a through pass to set up Routs for a simple tap in finish, and on the hour, it was 6-0 when from another Hiscock assist George Holman scored the best goal of the match from the edge of the penalty area.   With substitutes on St Neots seemed to lose their impetus and after 69 minutes Histon were unlucky to be denied a consolation goal when an O’Callaghan shot beat Bugg, but the ball rebounded from the cross bar.   St Neots substitute Joseph Rider added his name for the seventh and final goal from yet another Hiscock cross after 73 minutes but the game petered out with Williams again denied his hat trick by the overworked Wiseman and Hiscock whose performance had deserved a goal saw his added time effort deflected for a corner.




St Neots:  Bugg, Goodridge, Brooks, Donkin, Fulianty, Southeran, Williams, Holman, Waites, Routs, Hiscock                                                                                                                                     


Subs used:  Baker, Rider, Ford and Chambers.


Referee: Paul Gale

John Walker