Chippenham Town 2 : 2 St Neots Town FC
SLP 24
Chippenham Town 2 : 2
St Neots Town FC
Saturday 15 December, 2012 15:00



Evo-Stik Southern League Premier Division


CHIPPENHAM TOWN      2       ST NEOTS TOWN       2


St Neots produced their best performance for more than a month as they deservedly returned from Wiltshire with a hard earned but well deserved point.   However it came at a very high price with Ben Mackey sent off and Stefan Moore and Jay Davies both booked and this will result in all three of them missing the post Christmas trip to Weymouth in two weeks time.   Saints Manager Iain Parr had decided to make a tactical change to his side in order to improve recent defensive performances so he lined his side up in a 3-4-1-2 formation sacrificing the previously ever present Jon-Paul Duncliffe to bring in Mawefe Nkinga into the back line for his league debut as well as preferring Jack Giddens in goal for Michael Duggan.   It was after the break with substitute Ade Yusuff introduced up front that St Neots really clicked into gear and they dominated the final 45 minutes to thoroughly deserve at least their point.   Sadly in the final two minutes of normal time the penalty award that gave St Neots their point saw the match descend close to a riot as goal scorer Mackey was assaulted by both home players and a fan in the goal net as he tried to retrieve the ball and after match Referee Matthew Rushton had tried to apply calm he red carded Mackey (presumably for self defence!) and home defender Alex Kite taking almost five minutes to restore order.  

The first half was an almost anonymous contest with neither side able to create or control.   St Neots clearly took time to adapt to their new system but with Lewis Hilliard in his regular hard working guise setting up the visitors’ attacks and Dan Jacob in the free role behind the strikers there was always promise for the second half.   Chippenham took the lead with almost the first real attack on either goal after six minutes as Lee Phillips headed on a cross from Brandon Barnes and at the far post Tom Knighton headed goal wards.   Giddens got his hand to the ball but it looped over his head and into the net despite Adrian Sears’ valiant but unsuccessful attempt to clear.   Stefan Moore was then booked for a late challenge on home keeper Ben John and it was 20 minutes before St Neots first genuine goal attempt – that a header by Jordan Gent from a Jay Davies corner pushed away by the keeper.   On the heavy surface both sides struggled to string together a passing game and as the half progressed scoring chances became few with Mackey having a net bound shot blocked and Moore seeing another effort deflected wide by Ashley Williams.   Chippenham’s best chance fell to Lee Phillips who caught Giddens off his line but his opportunistic chip went well wide.

Jacob did not reappear after the break but the introduction of substitute Ade Yusuff pepped St Neots.   His early cross found Hilliard whose near post flick forced John into an astonishing reaction save and the keeper also saved well from Yusuff after good work by Nkinga.   The match had really come to life with St Neots very much in control and John saved full length from Jay Davies after clever work by Sear.   When Chippenham did attack the St Neots back line held firm and after 67 minutes they deservedly levelled when from a Jay Davies corner Jordan Gent powered home a header.   Now it looked like only one winner as St Neots dominated but the home defence also tightened and it was totally against the run of play nine minutes from time when substitute Luke Ballinger produced a wonder strike from 25 yards that flew into the net leaving Giddens helpless.   Now St Neots had to produce some real character to salvage some reward and with Yusuff’s pace always testing the home defence the deserved equaliser came two minutes from time.   Ben Mackey latched onto a through ball on the right side of the area but John’s rash two footed challenge brought him down and a penalty was awarded.   The keeper escaped lightly with a yellow card but stood no chance with Mackey’s firmly struck spot kick.   St Neots had their deserved point but what followed is best forgotten.




St Neots: Giddens, Nkinga, Adjei, Sear, Gent, Hoyte, Hilliard, Davies, Moore, Mackey, Jacob.

Subs:  Yusuff (for Jacob 46 mins), Duncliffe (for Moore 75 mins), Spark and Duggan.

Cards: Moore (Y – 14), Davies (Y – 76), Mackey (Red – 88)


Chippenham: John, Harris, Barnes, Williams, Casey, Kite, Griffiths, Guthrie, Lye, Knighton, Phillips.

Subs:  Ballinger (for Griffiths 62 mins), Osman (for Guthrie 75 mins), Griffin (for Knighton 76 mins)

Cards: John (Y – 88), Kite (Red – 88)


Referee: Matthew Rushton (Pewsey)


Attendance: 317


John Walker