Kings Lynn Town FC 0:0 St Neots Town FC
Kings Lynn Town FC 0 : 0
St Neots Town FC
Saturday 25 August, 2018 15:00


Kings Lynn Town       0         St Neots Town       0

After reading the riot act to his side after their last dismal showing Manager Matt Clements was encouraged by his sides’ next showing as they ground out a determined backs-to-the-wall goalless draw with the fancied Kings Lynn.   It maintained a four matches unbeaten run for St Neots at The Walks despite being short of players in their fourth league match of the new season.   With Dylan Williams injured and Lewis Irwin and Johnny Herd both unavailable, Clements dropped central defender Dan Olaniran to the bench and brought in Tom Wood, Jack Keeble, Harry O’Malley and Kasey Douglas into a reshaped line-up that struggled to find a rhythm in the early stages of the match.   The more experienced home side – most on part-time professional contracts – dominated for the first twenty minutes but the St Neots defense superbly marshalled by Wood and Taylor Parr held firm and an improved second half showing could have seen St Neots sneak all three points.   However, a point in this fixture is always a good result and will have done the confidence of the side no harm.

The match got off to a torrid start for the visitors who could have been behind after just two minutes when Lynn bore down on goal only for Toby Hilliard and Craig Parker to see close range shots blocked as the ball bounced around the penalty area.  Two minutes later Rory McAuley shot well wide from a Michael Clunan free kick and then from an Aaron Jones cross, Jordan Richards could only find the side netting from an acute angle.   Former Saint Ryan Hawkins then went clear but was denied by a fine save by Finley Iron and St Neots’ only reply during this period was a break from midfield by Claudio Ofosu thwarted as home keeper Alex Street saved at his feet.   The pressure was relieved gradually, and Street had to leave his area to head clear from Dion Sembie-Ferris.   Taylor Parr was booked for stopping Hawkins on his way to goal but nine minutes before the break after all the Lynn attacking had come to naught, St Neots almost took the lead when Parr rose above the home defense to win a cross from Ofosu only to see the ball rebound from the crossbar with the keeper beaten.   Just before the break St Neots had a fortunate let off when keeper Irons left his goal to retrieve a loose ball, but he was beaten to it by Richards who picked out the unmarked Hawkins who shot wildly over the bar with the goal at his mercy.

St Neots began the second half with a snap Sembie-Ferris shot that was wide and at the other end a cross by Hilliard landed on the roof of the net.   Lynn sent on substitute Valter Da Rocha and he quickly made his presence felt with a shot just wide of the far post.   After 66 minutes with the action less frantic McAuley rapped the St Neots crossbar with a shot from 35 yards and when play moved to the other end Ryan Fryatt missed his tackle allowing Sembie-Ferris to make for goal one-to-one with the keeper, but his shot was smothered as he failed to capitalize on St Neots best second half chance.   From a dangerous position on the edge of the penalty area Jones sent his free kick high over the bar and gradually despite still having greater possession the Lynn openings were snuffed out by the visiting defense.   Ofosu had a late chance well gathered by Street and the match punctuated by substitutions seemed to lose some of its bite.   By now St Neots had settled for a point and they added Dan Olaniran to set up a five-man defensive shield through which Lynn never looked like penetrating.   The Referee added on more than seven minutes for injury and time wasting but St Neots deservedly held on to take their fourth league point of the season.


St Neots:  Iron, Keeble, Miles, Knight, Wood, Parr, O’Malley, Peters, Sembie-Ferris, Douglas, Ofosu

Subs:  Mutswumbuma (for Douglas 61 mins), Olaniran (for Sembie-Ferris 86 mins), Fulianty and Reynolds.

Cards:  Keeble (Y – 24 mins), Parr (Y – 32 mins), Knight (Y – 37 mins), O’Malley (Y – 45+5 mins)

Goals:  none


Kings Lynn:  Street, Jones, Blake-Tracy, Jarvis, Fryatt, McAuley, Clunan, Hawkins, Hilliard, Parker, Richards

Subs:  Da Rocha (for Hilliard 58 mins), Stewart (for Parker 69 mins), Limb (for Hawkins 81 mins)

Cards:  Richards (Y – 69 mins), McAuley (Y – 78 mins)

Goals:  none

Referee:  Alistair Wilson (Boston)

Attendance:  568


John Walker

League Table
P Pts
1 Berkhamstead FC 28 64
2 Halesowen Town 27 63
3 Corby Town 28 59
4 Welwyn Garden C... 29 51
5 Aylesbury Unite... 29 49
Upcoming Fixtures
No Result found
Latest Club Tweets