St Neots Town Reserves 0:6 Fulbourn Institute FC
St Neots Town Reserves 0 : 6
Fulbourn Institute FC
Wednesday 15 August, 2018 19:45


Cambs League Premier Division




Last season St Neots Reserves finished bottom of the South Midlands League (Division One) and were relegated to the Cambs Premier League.   Judging on this performance that is not going to be any easier!   Two new regulations they will have to get used to are rolling substitutes, and the creation of a ‘sin bin’ for players who show dissent to the Referee – thankfully not utilised in this match.  The score line says it all in this opening game – St Neots were outplayed and must look to make some rapid improvements in either performance or squad.   Facing last season’s sixth in the league Fulbourn was also going to be a challenging baptism and to their credit St Neots never gave up and were denied a very late consolation goal when a close-range Andy Sincock shot was deflected wide.


St Neots began brightly but after Owen Dunnett had fired over the bar and Jaiden Fitzpatrick had shot across the face of goal, the visitors settled down to dominate play.   They went ahead after nine minutes when a defensive error let in Luke Parkinson for a simple tap-in finish and the goal scorer then set up Luke Crisp whose effort rebounded from the crossbar.  After seventeen minutes Luke Parkinson doubled the score and his personal tally from a Joseph Abbs through ball and it was then three goals in just a sixteen minutes spell when an Abbs corner was converted by the unmarked Ben Mhishi.   St Neots looked shell shocked, but Ollie Sole had one shot saved and a second deflected and the home side could have scored a late first half goal but a Jaiden Fitzpatrick free kick from a central position just cleared the cross bar.


The half time team talk seemed to have its desired effect as the second half saw a much better team performance by the home side.   For half an hour they not only kept their goal intact, but they created chances of their own with Sole going close after a neat three-man build up.  Sincock then saw his shot well saved by visiting keeper Jordan Haynes who also did well to keep out another effort my Matt Kenneford.   Fulbourn was then denied by the woodwork a second time when a spectacular overhead effort by Luke Parkinson rebounded back into play but then two goals in as many minutes snuffed out St Neots hopes of a late comeback.  After 76 minutes Callum Fullwood was allowed too much space to score the visitors’ fourth goal and a fifth in the next attack by substitute Daniel Harling with an assist from Fullwood effectively clinched the victory.   The sixth goal also from Harling arrived five minutes from time to complete St Neots’ misery.



Reserves: McCormack, Lapompe, Sells, Minall, Dunnett, Scotney, Sole, Fitzpatrick, Sincock, Kenneford, Threadgold


Subs: Beavis, Bunker, Dean, Walsh and Shillinde


Referee: Chris Abbott (Soham)


John Walker