St Neots Town FC 0:1 Barwell
Second Round Qulifying
St Neots Town FC 0 : 1
Saturday 10 November, 2018 15:00



St Neots Town      0          Barwell       1


This match was supposed to be about a football contest, but it turned out to be more about an over-zealous Referee.   The forgettable first half was dominated by the Referee who issued four yellow cards for offences not helped by the conditions thanks to a pre-match downpour, including two to visiting striker Massiah McDonald leaving his side to play for more than an hour with ten men.   Boston Referee Alastair Wilson also dismissed one of the Barwell Managerial staff from the dugout and in the second half issued a second yellow card to Dylan Williams ten minutes from time balancing up the two sides.   In addition to the two dismissals there were a further four yellow cards issued – three for the visitors – in a match that hardly boasted a single malicious challenge.    One time million-pound Wolverhampton Wanders striker, 32 years old Sylvan Ebanks-Blake came off the Barwell bench at half time to fire his side to an unlikely FA Trophy victory claiming the only goal in a scrappy match between these two Southern League Central opponents.   St Neots can have no real complaints because they had more than enough possession to make their numerical superiority count, but at present they are lacking quality in front of goal.   In eleven matches at the Premier Plus Stadium they have managed only thirteen goals whilst on foreign soil they have notched just a goal a game in league and cup.   Manager Matt Clements had to make two team changes bringing in utility man Matt Miles for the suspended Johnny Herd and with loanee Ben Worman unavailable he gave Claudio Ofosu a starting berth for only the second time in the last seven matches.


It was a bright enough start with both keepers in action in the first five minutes – Harry Reynolds saving well from Liam Canavan and Dion Sembie-Ferris seeing his effort pushed clear by Liam Castle.   A free kick by Dylan Williams following the first McDonald booking saw Tom Wood just inches from converting the low cross and then a second Sembie-Ferris effort was deflected for a corner.   Brady Hickey squandered the visitors best first half chance firing over the bar with the St Neots defence split, but further bookings saw the rhythm of the match deteriorate.   Castle did have to leave his line swiftly to save at the feet of Nabil Shariff and a snap shot by Russell Short was competently handled by the keeper.   Barwell could have taken a first half lead when they split the St Neots defence from a lengthy goalkeeper clearance six minutes before the break but Hickey volleyed wide when he should at least have tested the keeper.  The half ended with a good move at the other end when the pace of Sembie-Ferris took him around his marker but at the near post, Dylan Williams’ header was over the bar.


A bold approach by Barwell immediately after the break laid the foundation for this result.  Despite being a man down they sent on Ebanks-Blake taking off a defensive midfielder and taking the game to St Neots.  Jahvan Davidson-Miller outpaced the St Neots defence and drew Reynolds off his line but his clever chip towards goal was acrobatically cleared off the line by the covering Short.  As the visitors continued to press Reynolds produced a top notch save to deny Hickey but that was St Neots chance to counter-attack and Williams had a shot blocked and Shariff saw a looping header retrieved by the back-peddling Castle.    Tom Wood then set up Sembie-Ferris on the right and his rising shot was well saved by the keeper and two more visiting players were booked for clumsy challenges.   After 70 minutes Barwell sent on another attacking player and that proved to be the master stroke as within six minutes of his arrival substitute Nigel Julien won his way to the bye line to cross beyond the far post for Hickey to head back to Sylvan Ebanks-Blake to apply the lethal finishing touch.   St Neots responded with Luke Knight bringing a good save from Castle and in a long period of seven minutes added time St Neots failed to produce a significant shot to bother the keeper.   Now out of both National competitions St Neots must turn their attention to improving their precarious looking league position.



St Neots:  Reynolds, Stanley, Miles, Knight, Short, Parr, Sembie-Ferris, Wood, Shariff, Williams (D), Ofosu

Subs:  Wharton (for Ofosu 65 mins), Douglas (for Sembie-Ferris 90 mins) and Olaniran

Cards:  Williams (RED – 2 x Y – 22 & 81 mins), Knight (Y – 18 mins)

Goals:  none


Barwell:  Castle, Percival, Putman, Desrosier, Gasgoine, Hildreth, Canavan, Tomkinson, McDonald, Hickey, Davidson-Miller

Subs:  Ebanks-Blake (for Hildreth 46 mins), Julien (for Davidson-Miller 70 mins), Taylor, Williams (K) and Rowe.

Cards:  McDonald (RED – 2 x Y – 6 & 28 mins), Davidson-Miller (Y – 64 mins), Canavan (Y – 69 mins), Gasgoine (Y – 88 mins) + member of Management Team (SENT OFF28 mins)

Goals:  none


Referee:  Alastair Wilson (Boston)

Attendance:  216


John Walker