St Neots Town FC 3 : 1 Chesham United
SLP 33
St Neots Town FC 3 : 1
Chesham United
Tuesday 05 February, 2013 19:45


Evo-Stik Southern League Premier Division


ST NEOTS TOWN       3       CHESHAM UNITED      1     


To great sighs of relief St Neots returned to winning ways as they avenged their opening day defeat by Chesham – a victory that lifted them four places in the table to tenth.   It was only their second victory in their last thirteen league outings and came courtesy of a much improved overall performance.   As a bonus the victory featured a first home goal for Jay Davies who was almost back to his best and a first ever goal in the St Neots jersey for defender Gavin Hoyte just three days after his error at Redditch had contributed to his sides’ defeat.  There was just one team change with Jordy Nkinga filling in at right back for the unavailable Ryan Auger.   A wet evening and a slippery surface made conditions tricky but St Neots were for the most part assured and well deserved their three points haul.

Chesham started well and enjoyed their best spell in the first ten minutes of the match.  An early Steve Wales free kick flew wide of the far post and Dave Fotheringham shot into the side netting from a narrow angle.   Another cross from the same played was pushed away under pressure by goalkeeper Jack Giddens but gradually St Neots settled and could have gone ahead after 14 minutes when skipper Dan Jacob cut inside to see his dipping shot rebound from the cross bar.   St Neots felt they should have had a penalty a minute later when a shot by Lewis Hilliard appeared to be handled on the line by a defender but they had to settle for a corner.   However after 18 minutes a move inspired by Jay Davies saw Craig Calver cross from the left and Dan Jacob sent a low shot into the net to open the scoring.   At the other end a thunderous shot from Simon Thomas skidded just a foot wide and then Giddens was in action going full length to save a Michael Chennells shot.   Play was largely end to end and a Hilliard snap shot was pushed for a corner before Giddens again kept his goal intact by diving bravely at the feet of Chennells.

Two goals in as many minutes at the start of the second half saw the sides’ fortunes swing either way.   After 50 minutes a Wales corner for Chesham was not cleared and at the far post Simon Thomas sent a fierce shot into the roof of the net but St Neots response was swift and significant as they made Chesham pay for their indiscretions.   Lambert was booked for a foul on Calver and from the resultant free kick by Hilliard Gavin Hoyte converted at the far post.   This seemed to restore St Neots’ confidence and they almost extended their lead as Ben Mackey saw his shot blocked by the legs of Shane Gore.    Another booking for a trip by Bruce Wilson resulted in another booking and another free kick this time by Jay Davies whose effort took a defensive deflection to give St Neots a 3-1 lead.   Gore then dived at the feet of Calver to prevent a further goal and Chesham became ragged and St Neots were able to play their usual free passing game although they were fortunate when a lengthy effort by Toby Little bounced to safety off the cross bar.   In the last ten minutes St Neots clearly decided to sit on their advantage and they sent on Kyle Assante for Mackey and debutante Tom Wood for Davies and the match ended in some disarray for the visitors when defender Nathan Campbell was sent off as he picked up a second yellow card for a frustrated and unnecessary challenge on Dan Jacob


St Neots: Giddens, Nkinga, Sage, Sear, Lee, Hoyte, Hilliard, Davies, Calver, Mackey, Jacob.

Subs:  Assante (for Mackey 83 mins), Wood (for Davies 83 mins), Adjei and Duggan.

Cards: Calver (Y – 34), Davies (Y – 76)


Chesham: Gore, Kyriacou, Little, Lambert, Bartley, Campbell, Fotheringham, Wales, Chennells, Simon Thomas, Wilson.

Subs:  Potton (for Wilson 57 mins), Effiong (for Wales 67 mins), Rolfe, Watters and Scott Thomas.

Cards: Campbell (RED Y – 73 & 90), Lambert (Y – 52), Wilson (Y – 56), Fotheringham (Y – 83)


Attendance: 176


Referee:  Anthony Da Costa (Cambridge)


John Walker