St Neots Town FC 6 : 1 Hemel Hempstead Town
SLP 36
St Neots Town FC 6 : 1
Hemel Hempstead Town
Tuesday 26 February, 2013 19:45

St Neots returned to winning ways with an emphatic and well deserved home victory against Hemel Hempstead.  The Visitors, who came to the Cozy Stadium in second place in the table, started well and early pressure produced two chances for Charles and King who were both denied by saves by Saints keeper Giddens, before a goal line clearance following a corner kept the score line goalless.

Saints first chance fell to Hilliard who shot over from 20 yards, before Hoyte was denied by the post after meeting a Davies corner.  As the first half progressed Saints created more chances, with Hilliard going close after beating two defenders before shooting just wide and then keeper Timms was quickly off his line to intercept a long ball outside his area to deny Davies who had beaten the offside trap with a run from inside his own half.  Hemel continued to press forward and Parkes tested Giddens from long range and Charles was inches away from connecting with a cross from Campana, who looked dangerous every time he picked up the ball and ran at the Saints defence.  After forty minutes Saints took the lead when Jacob capitalised on a defensive error and his deflected shot beat Timms, going in off the underside of the crossbar.

St Neots started the second half strongly and within the first ten minutes scored a further two goals, firstly Ogbonna found the net after a wicked shot from Davies had been parried away and then Jacob scored his second  of the night latching onto a through ball from Hilliard.  It could have been even better for Saints but Timms saved with his feet from another Ogbonna effort.

Hemel responded by making three substitutions but it was Saints who could have extended their lead after Sage found Mackey but he was unable to test Timms when he seemed well placed to score.  The Saints defence, marshalled by the excellent Hoyte, had defended stoutly for most of the evening, but were beaten after seventy one minutes when Parkes beat Giddens, although the Saints keeper was equal to a free kick from May as Hemel tried to find a way back in to the match and Charles missed a good chance after a cross by substitute Nolan.

The game opened up in the last fifteen minutes and Saints took full advantage.  Davies set up Mackey for the fourth, and then  Mackey ran clear from the half way line before beating Timms to score the fifth.  Hemel continued to press forward and hit the woodwork twice in the last five minutes through Parkes and Anderson but there was still time for Mackey to complete an eleven minute hat trick following good work from Hilliard and Asante.

St Neots: Giddens, Auger, Sage, Wood, Lee, Hoyte, Hilliard, Davies, Ogbonna, Mackey, Jacob.

Subs: Asante (for Ogbonna 75 mins), Davis (for Sage 85 mins), Sharman (for Wood 89 mins) and Conroy.

Cards:  Davies (Y – 60) Auger (Y – 75)

Hemel Hempstead: Timms, May, Parkes, Fagan, Anderson, Talbot, Campana, King, Pearce, Charles, Hutton

Subs: Nolan, O’Leary and Osobu (for Fagan, Pearce and Hutton 54 mins), Parsons , Beagle.

Cards: Fagan (Y – 44)

Attendance: 218

Referee: P Evans