20-01-2014 19:45

Thurlow Nunn Youth West Division


HUNTINGDON TOWN U18      2       ST NEOTS TOWN U18      2             


Playing their first competitive match for almost six weeks St Neots looked out of sorts yet still managed to claim a late goal and a share of the points.   The fog which came and went during the match played its part because at one stage late in the first half it seemed as though an abandonment was likely with the Assistant Referees struggling to see across the width of the pitch.   However the match was allowed to continue and the below strength St Neots side will have been happy with the point they picked up.   The contrasting tactics operated by the two sides’ saw St Neots struggle to get their passing game together whilst the home side always looked dangerous both on the break and from set pieces.


St Neots was almost caught out in the first minute of the match when a long ball over the top of the defence found Alex John unmarked at the far post but Dom Poli somehow got across to make a saving tackle.   The visitors then settled with Luke Day seeing a well placed shot pushed for a corner and they took the lead after four minutes with a well taken goal by the returning Jordan Brown following a Sam Williams corner.   Brown is awaiting a decision on his future after returning from a trial training period at Brighton.   Huntingdon hit back quickly and Alex Cook headed over from a corner when well placed and Jack Haycock had a shot blocked with the St Neots defence in disarray.   Most of the chances at either end were coming from set pieces and Dan Mattin forward for a Williams corner saw his first effort blocked and his follow up headed effort pass the wrong side of a post.   Huntingdon then had a good period of pressure as Derry Stowers saw a short rebound from a post and Jack Haycock brought a fine reaction save from Dan Huff when he looked certain to score.   However the pressure paid off and after 22 minutes the sides were level when a Haycock shot was parried and Alex John followed up to score.   Luke Day squandered two scoring chances for the visitors and three minutes before the break from another corner kick Jack Haycock put Huntingdon in front.


The second half saw fewer scoring chances at either end.   Brown twice shot off target for St Neots and the introduction of substitutes did little to change the pattern of play.   St Neots did put together a good spell of pressure midway through the second half but produced only two good chances with Brown shooting wide and substitute Blake Rivers seeing his effort pass just the wrong side of a post.   Then with five minutes left after a good move a Williams corner resulted in an equalising goal from 20 yards by St Neots second substitute Remi Fawcus-Williams.   Both Dan Hobbs and Rukky Diejomaoh sent shots wide of the target in a lengthy period of added time and a share of the points was a fair result to an enthusiastically contested match.



St Neots: Huff, Hartley (C), Jones, Poli, Mattin, Williams, Brown, Mimms, Day, Hobbs, Diejomaoh

Sub used:  Rivers and Fawcus-Williams.

Cards:  none


Goals (St Neots):  Brown (4 mins), Fawcus-Williams (85 mins)



John Walker